First major injury in 20 years!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Thought I was doing Lucky and Jubilee a favor leaving them out last night but I was wrong. When I went out to feed this am found Lucky with a hole in his left shoulder into the muscle. It was not bleeding much but the skin had been peeled back about 1/3 the size of my palm, there was an entrance and exit hole in the muscle facia. I flushed it several times with betadine solution and called the vet who came out, examined, scraped edges, flushed, stapled and sutured him back to gether 20 staples and about 15 stitches. I could not see the wound well enough to tell how bad it was. Could have been a tree branch that he impailed himself on running, or a nail although not likely because the wound was not a clean cut with the two holes visable. Thank God it wasnt any worse! I have not had any injuries requiring surgical closure EVER before![/SIZE]

Amy came and walked the paddock to see where it could have happened and we just cant figure it out.... Vet said also it could have been a dog bite!!! That is the scariest part as there were strange dogs around yesterday and our outside dog was really barking last night.

Pray that it heals and doesnt scar too bad. Lucky was headed for a show career.

Lyn
unsure.gif

Good Lord Lyn!

Roaming dogs are the LAST thing you need! Unfortunately if there was nothing else to

answer why your fellow came up injured, that may be it!

Hope Lucky believes in his name and heals up well!

MA

[SIZE=21pt]Hope Lucky is ok. My prayers and thoughts for a speedy recovery are sent.[/SIZE]

Lyn, I wish Lucky all the best in healing power! I have seen some NASTY wounds heal up beautifully, including on my poor little Danny's head! When I bought him he had stitches all over his face from going down in the trailer, there was blood everywhere. Now you REALLY have to look to see the scars, though at the time there were several people calling my little man Frankenstein.
rolleyes.gif

I had two foals this year have wounds from who knows what as I searched that pasture over and over.

One was a small one about the size of a silver dollar in the girth area behind the front shoulder. It didn't have any puncture but the three flaps of skin where separtated. Vet flushed out and cut off all excess skin and even cut into the wound where it would start bleeding a little.

Next was a wound in the front part of the shoulder ( like that spot that the bone sticks out on foals in front of the chest) this filly had a puncture wound and the skin ripped back again about the size of a silver dollar) Again we cut the skin off back into the muscle.

Each were packed with Furasal(sp?) 2-3 times daily. The one with the puncture was on Banamine paste for 3 days as she was a little sore. Now you can't even tell it just a month or so later. Both of these plan on still having a show career, no harm done to them.

My only concern would be that instead of cutting the skin back (into fresh tissue) so it would regrow itself that the old tissue (that might have lost some blood supply) was put back together.

Hope he pulls through with flying colors.

I wouldn't worry too mcuh about a scar if he surgically stitched it up! Most horses who have stiches you can never even tell that they ever got hurt! I've seen it in person! Now my little Shadow on the other hand. . .we had to take off his whole front part of the mane so it wouldn't get infected and the vet said it was OK not to stich it up but he's stayed out here the past 3 days watching over him for me since I have to go to school.

I HOPE HE GETS WELL SOON!

[SIZE=21pt]I'll be praying for Lucky!
yes.gif
I'm sure he'll be just fine and go on the be a wonderful show horse!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

Bill

[SIZE=14pt]Erica, He did cut back into good tissue on the perimiters . he trimmed some away..... IT looked like the pocket in the neck end of the turkey when you cook it........ he left a drain hole in the lowest corner. HE is to get 4 smz tablets twice a day and Im to keep the area as clean as I can with antibiotic ointment over the staples and stitches. This wound is right on the point of his shoulder too.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh LYn, how scary for you and Lucky. Healing prayers coming your way.

[SIZE=14pt]Here is a pic of the repair. You wouldnt want to see it before.... I couldnt take a pic and Amy said it made her throw up so she couldnt either![/SIZE]

Lyn
f2218e3f.jpg

Oh Lynn, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to your Lucky. We will be keeping him in our prayers for a fast healing. Ibet when this is all healed up you wont even see a scar mark and he will go on to a great show career. Corinne

[SIZE=21pt]Poor little fellow! I will be thinking of him Lyn. Back in my big horse days I saw terrible injuries heal with almost no scar. I bet Lucky does as well or better. That looks like a neat repair job.[/SIZE]

Charlotte[SIZE=21pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Prayers for you and Lucky being sent your way.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=21pt]I have used a product called "Herbal Solution" made by Schreiner with good results. Just a thought. Pretty good stuff in my opinion though. It is an all natural solution. Helped with a horse of mine that had a cut tendon sheath that we or the vet could not get healed up. With the use of this it healed up rather quickly without any scarring of any kind.[/SIZE]

I do hope Lucky heals up nicely for you with minimal scarring.

edited - to have same disclaimer as Robin's post below & for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Vicki took the word out of my mouth. My vet and the vet who did surgery for me on a horse or two swear by Schreiners Herbal Solution. I have two mares that you would have put money on their having scars and they don't. Just be careful and don't breath when you spray it, it will make you cough.

Robin

Disclaimer: The opinions posted above are the persons "opinions" only. I am NOT a vet and don't claim to be. The advice above is strictly from my own experience and should be taken that way. This in not the opinion of Lil beginnings or anybody connected to Lil beginnings. I am NOT stating that the product, named above, guarantee's no scars. I am only giving my own experience.
biggrin.gif

Edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Lyn, the advice on the ointment to use will help the healing process tremendously and I doubt you will even see a scar - probably just a faint line if at all.[/SIZE]

No matter how careful we are, I swear sometimes they can get cut on "AIR".

[SIZE=14pt]I can empathize with not knowing how he got hurt or on what. That has happened to me before when Lonesome ripped his eyelid in his stall and 3 people searched and could not figure how on earth...[/SIZE]

Years ago, a qh yearling I know ripped his side open on the handle of a stall door. To look at it, you wouldn't think it was possible but I saw it happen. A huge piece of skin tore off in addition to the puncture. It looked horrific, and was real bad as it healed, however, you couldn't tell it happened now and he's a black-bay so you'd think scarring would be visible.

I hope Lucky will heal just as beautifully.

Latest posts

Back