First foal of the year for Camelot Country

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis

Reaction score
Our first foal of the year finally arrived this morning about 3:30. This was the 4th foal from this breeding & we've been anxiously waiting for it's arrival. Well, first off, the mare was 13 days overdue, she had NO bag to speak of, just a little swelling in front & the glands in her bag were a little hard, then the baby was NOT moving! We had even body clipped her & that ALWAYS wakes them up. Nope, not this one. And, to top it off this mare could have almost gone into the showring she looked so good. She never gets too big, but this time we were really beginning to worry. We checked her last night & no changes, but we've been putting the halter monitor on her "just in case". Good thing, if it hadn't gone off we'd have lost this little guy - YES, ANOTHER COLT. I got to the barn just in time. I'll try to get some pictures this evening because we really need some help.

This little's guys hock seems to "pop" out. Well, it's hard to explain, it really doesn't pop out and it doesn't seem to hurt him, but if you look at him from behind, the right hock will look like this (>). Does that make sense? He's bouncing around the stall & seems fine, but when he puts weight on that leg it "bows" out.

Has anyone had a foal with this problem before??

Janis

I've gotten some pictures I could e-mail them to someone to post. I can't do it from this computer. Sorry

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to post some pictures that taught me that any foal can straighten out. This poor little colt was so very very crooked when he came out my vet suggested putting him down that day. His spine was crooked, his legs went 4 different directions he couldn't lift his head properly, he was bad. My husband and I decided that he was nursing, peeing, pooping and didn't seem to be in pain so we would wait a week or so to make a decison. We ended up with a very cute gelding that is now loved by a very sweet young girl. His legs were never perfect but he leads an extremely normal life and is not inhibited in any way.

We did brace his little legs, we used pool noodles and vet wrap, and trimmed him very frequently when young but give your guy some time.

These first 2 are right after he was born

Ace%20crooked.jpg

Ace%20crooked%202.jpg

This is at about 4 weeks old

ace%20legs.jpg

And this at about 6 months

ace11.jpg

We had a baby born a little funky in the hinds as well, a couple of years ago. But ours had the hinds being a little too straight when he walked. I think his tendens were a little weak. We kept him stalled for a month and then let him out lightly at first. We didn't want a lot of running and bucking. We had a friend that had a filly born this way and her tendons in her legs actually snapped making her legs perfectly straight in the hinds, no bend at all. Sometimes one of her legs actually bends forward like a knee. I think with all the stall rest and restricted play our colt was able to strengthen those tendons a bit. He is fine now!

Maybe posting some picts of your guy would help??

I had a filly born many years ago with a > hock like yours.We called her BIRDIE since she looked like a baby bird trying to get around.I panicked and called the vet.She sent her new associate who was going to x ray.The experienced vet came&told me to give her a few weeks.She suggested keeping her in a stall, but she ran up and down the length of the stall.We turned her out in a small paddock and it got to be normal.She even went on to win in the show ring.Just give your baby time.Keep us posted about the progress.

We had a filly do the same thing about ten years ago. If finally locked in the right place, but years later when she was pregnant with her fourth foal, it popped out again and now it stays like that, but doesn't seem to bother her or cause her pain.

Thanks for your replies. I tried to post pics, but with my "lovely" computer, I couldn't reduce them. I've talked to two vets & they both say to keep him in the stall. We've given him a shot of AD&E. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it sures makes me hurt when I see it. Thanks again, & I'll keep ya'll updated.

Janis

Here are the pictures Janis sent to me to be posted -- I may edit this and replace photos if they don't look right.

I don't know this as a fact -- but it looks to me like his tendons are loose on the right hind -- the leg twists outwards at the hock - very loose there.

The 2nd photo CAN look like he is double jointed - but I think that is the angle of the photo -- in reality the hock is twisted out --- from looking at photo 1. Janis will have to comment and tell us what they really show.

Photo 1 - photo taken rear view - straight on at hind legs:

mleg1csm.jpg

Photo 2 - photo taken side view of legs:

mleg2c.jpg

Maybe exercise will help this tighten up - but I am not a vet nor an expert.

JJay

just an extra caution. be sure there is no heat in that leg as that could be an indicator of joint ill. sending good thoughts for him

Oh owie, I see what you mean, Janis, about it making *you* hurt to look at it. I don't know if it's painful but it looks it doesn't it?

I sure hope that his leg goes into place, poor baby! From the experiences of others it sounds like he has a great chance of being completely sound.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back