Filly fairy comes to Manitoba

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I had Tallie's due date as April 15th, but then got thinking this mare always goes 335-340 days, so April 15th was too early. I figure most of our due dates at 325-328 days, but revised this mare to April 25th. Tuesday evening when I went out to do chores Tallie was standing in the far corner of the corral, looking very relaxed & "sprung". I thought she looks like she's ready to foal. Went for a closer look & sure enough, she was all waxed up.

Of course this year she'd have to break her own 335 day rule--here she is at 315 days & ready to foal. It makes sense, because here we are with a cold snap. -5 last night & -10 tonight. This mare likes to foal outside, but I put her in last night, which made her pout & cross her legs. I knew she couldn't hold on to it for too long---not the way she was looking! She foaled tonight just before 11:30, a small little black filly that I'm sure will grey out like her mom. I'm not sure yet if there's silver there too, from dad--I should be able to tell more tomorrow in the daylight, and will get some photos then too. Tallie had such a huge belly on her we couldn't help but worry about the foal turning out to be too big & there'd be trouble delivering her, but she's actually a tiny little thing. Her mother doesn't appreciate having her new babies handled but I got this one dried off & blanketed without too much trouble. She got up right away, found the lunch box with no problem at all & seems to be doing great. Whew. One down & 4 to go!

We just sold our two year old grey filly off of this mare earlier today, so we were hoping for another filly to replace her. We got our wish!! I think this one will be called Cedar Plains Frosty Lass. Now, I'm kind of hoping we can hang onto that filly fairy until the rest of our foals come!!

Congratulations on your new wee girl Holly!!! :aktion033:

Saw your name here on the board being a late night browser and thought you must be on foal watch too!
default_smile.png

Pics in the mornin???

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations :aktion033: :aktion033: Please post pictures soon
default_yes.gif
:

Conny

:lol: Pictures tonight, Beccy--I have to go to work this morning
default_sad.png
then I've got a load of hay coming right after work tonight.....hmm, pix tonight hopefully, otherwise tomorrow morning for sure!

Little Lass is looking very cute this morning if I do say so myself--I did have time for a quick peek before I come in now to get ready for work.

:aktion033: Congratulations! And what a super mare...delivering at a decent time....and shortening the waiting-days....
default_wink.png
:

O.k........PICS !
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]Congratulations! Now dont you know that it is illegal to announce a baby without pics!!! [/SIZE]

Lyn

Congratulations! I love her name, and can't wait to see the photos!!! :aktion033:

Liz R.

...325 days and counting...

Congratulations on the little filly Holly! I'm looking forward to seeing her!

Whooo Hooo!!!

Congratulations!! Now, where are the pics.....you've had plenty of time.....watcha doin....catching up on some sleep? :bgrin

I tried, I really did try to get some photos for you this afternoon but it didn't work. It's too cold to let the baby outside without her blankets this afternoon (cold & windy) but I'd hoped to take a couple in her stall when we changed her blankets just now. We took the blankets off & gave Lass a scratching. A couple times she posed real nice, & she is honestly a NICE filly--possibly our best one yet, and some of you know how much I like the Ice Man babies from the last two years. Lass is small & long legged, with a level topline and long, upright neck. She's got attitude too, that's already obvious. Well, when Mom got in place with the camera all Lass would do it walk up & stick her nose in it, or else turn her butt to it. I couldn't do much with her because I was hanging onto the mare, & since Tallie doesn't appreciate having her baby handled at this stage, it was a little hairy at times. Tallie knows she isn't allowed to attack people, but she'd sure like to!! Then baby got cold & stood there all scrunched up so we had to put her blankets back on & give up on photos. Bummer. A nice new foal & I can't show her to anyone yet. :no:

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice & warm with sun & no wind, so she'll be able to go outside & I will for sure come up with some photos then.

Back