Fescue Pasture HELP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
We recently planted a dryland lawn with the intent to use it as pasture a few hours a day. After planting it, I realized it had Fawn Tall Fescue seed in it. I know there can be issues with allowing bred mares to consume it due to a toxic fungus. My question is, what are people's experiences with it? Recommendations? I have talked to 2 vets who were not very reassuring, but not terribly discouraging either. Just looking for some input. Thank you!

I would take bred mares off it to a dry lot the last trimester of pregnancy

after they foal it will be fine again for them to be on it

We make sure our hay also has no fescue

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pull them off a full 90 days before their due dates and they should be fine. Check the hay you give them during that 90 days to make sure if it's local hay there is no fescue in it. I'd recommend putting them on alfalfa the last trimester if you don't already feed it, as it will give them a protein boost and is a tummy soother also.

As Lori said, once baby(ies) are on the ground, then things should be fine to let them go back to grazing once you give them time to bond and observe your little ones for a little bit of time to make sure all is well.

Calm down. Obviously you need to build a dry lot paddock.

I take them off the fescue 60-90 days before foaling

The hardest part of this I have found was trying to find true fescue free hay. Mostly everyone around here has lied to me about it being fescue free so frankly I don't believe anything the hay farmers tell me at all. Good thing my friends bale hay so I know what they are getting. Find your hay source and find a way to be sure its fescue free. .

They are on dry lot now. I just want to be able to let them graze for a bit each day. My hay is fescue free as we grow it ourselves on the family farm. Thank you for your input!

Latest posts

Back