Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSRminis

Reaction score
We have some additional land we want to fence and don't know what to use. Would LOVE three or four board estate but at three acres to do - can't afford it! Maybe if we do it ourselves a little at a time. Wanted to hear from you all what you had, what you liked, what you didn't like-what is easy, hard, safe, dangerous, etc. All opinions GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it depends so much on what you want and what your goals are (which could be said about almost anything). We have some vinyl Ramm fencing for our big horse that looks like wood, and I love it. It is beautiful, has no maintenance, and is very safe. Trees have fallen on it and it bounces back. BUT, the neighbor's Jack Russell got under it once and bit my horse on the nose. So, to keep the riff-raff OUT, we have 2"X4" non-climb wire mesh fencing for the minis, which doesn't look as nice, but keeps the dogs and small wild animals out. For myself, I would stay away from wood (even though it looks nice) because of the high maintenance and the fact horses love to eat it! Of course, you could add electric so they won't chew... Again, my own opinion, I would worry about horses (especially big ones) getting injured or running through a wood fence. And I once had an electric fence get struck by lightning so I tend to shy away from electric fencing. It blew the fuse right out of the wall and across the basement.

In a perfect world the poly white fence would be my dream, second to that would be wood fence, next is hot wire which is what I do have. Cost effective, efficient, pretty easy to maintain and move and they rarely get out. Note I say "rarely".

We just did our whole area with cattle panels and I LOVE it! Before that we had barbed wire (YUCK!) and field fencing. I didn't like the barbed wire for obvious reasons, and the field fencing had to be stretched too much and too often, and the neighbor's cows just plowed right through it. With the cattle panels, the cows don't go through them, the horses don't go through them, most stray dogs can't get through them, and they're SO easy to put up. We fenced 500 feet in a day, and that was with a LOT of breaks and having to pull most of the T-posts up and reset them.

Good luck on your search.

That's what I am going to put up,cattle panels.I have seen others use them and they look strong.
default_yes.gif
:

You can actually use the clips that come with the T posts, but we didn't. We used some heavy duty zip ties, but I've been going through and reinforcing them with electric fence wire. I chose the heavier duty electric wire over baling wire because it doesn't rust like the baling wire does. I've seen some folks here post that they use baling twine and it works pretty well.

I'm also going to put up some cattle panels in my front yard to divide my fence. I'll be using the clips on that.

We started re-doing our fencing last fall. We had the no climb welded wire, which is good ~~ if its stretched, but when it loosens up my horses had a tendency to step the bottom of it down and I was always afraid they would get a hoof caught. We are now in the process of putting up cattle panels, we are about 1/2 done and I really do like them.We made our stallion runs out of cattle panels about 5 years ago and I havent had any problems with anyone getting in ~ out~ or over. I dont like or use electric. When I win the lottery~~~ I will get my 3 rail fencing, and do all 160 acres! Isn't that a good dream :bgrin Corinne

We have cattle pannels on painted oak posts and I really like this kind of fencing. We had heavy guage field fencing on the painted oak posts but have been switching it all over as we have time (got a pile of cattle pannels yet to use!).

Looking%20Back%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20147.jpg

DUNIT%20--%2006232006%20151.jpg

OK-I have been strongly leaning towards the cattle panels but my husband does not want to...With the cattle panels are you setting posts every eight feet? Anyone use them with big horses? I have them too...

THANKS!

The panels are 16' long and at our place, we have set the oak posts every 8'
default_yes.gif
: I have big horses but they are boarded. I would think these could work well though for biggies, but am not certain.

I have both hog panels & cattle panels for my dry lots and you really need to put the t-posts about 4' apart for it to be strong. If you put the posts 8' apart when the horses rub on them they tend to bow out. Using the panels is a quick and easy way to put up fencing and works real well.

Has anyone ever had a problem with a hoof getting stuck in the cattle panels? I have been wanting to use these because I hear coyotes at night but was worried about the possibility of a hoof getting stuck and the horse getting hurt.
default_unsure.png
:

Stephanie

I love the cattle panels, too. The holes are big enought that a hoof won't get stuck, and the edges aren't sharp, so they won't get cut. And dogs can't get in unless they dig under.

Lucy

We have been builing our additional paddocks with cattle panels and really like them. eventually all the older paddocks will have cattle panel replacing them. jennifer :saludando:

I bought a large number of cattle pannels late last summer and we are still working on replacing all the field fencing (obviously not working HARD or it would have been done long ago!). I got a volume discount and I think I paid around $22/each from the local farmer's co-op and they delivered them for another $30 or so which was good as they weigh a lot and are pretty long and cumbersome to haul. I think I bought 40 of them...

I really like the cattle panels too. We will be working on fencing (I hope) this summer, and that will be a consideration for us. However, I stopped by our neighbor the sheep farmer's this morning to see if we were "babysitting" the sheep this week-end. He's in the middle of lambing, and he had sheep or goat panels up all around his existing fencing where the little lambs are. I really like those. He said they are 10 feet panels, and also make excellent stalls. He said he had had his for several years, but had only paid $22.00 each. Bet they are higher now! They have a smaller opening than cattle panels, and have 3 bars of sucker rod on the top. Priefert is in the town next to us, but oh my are they expensive!

Back