Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
What is a prefered/safe fencing option for a miniature horse? Photos may help with examples
default_smile.png
thanks!

I was trying to explain what I use, but It would've sounded to confusing so I went out and snapped a few pics really quick ;)

I use the RedBrand fencing;

(Eowyn representing the fence ;))http://s2.postimage....3t/IMG_9818.jpg

and then a wire at the top with insulators so the other horses don't reach over and bite her (her pasture is built inside the big horse pasture).:

http://s7.postimage....5n/IMG_9815.jpg

The top line is electric but it works whether its electric or not =)

http://s1.postimage....cv/IMG_9816.jpg After looking at this pic I realize that fence needs to be tightened more ;)

I tie the RedBrand fence to a metal green post with wire so it stays in place;

http://s8.postimage....6t/IMG_9817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We use electric fence, the wire. Its easy and works. Only one mini has gotten out but it was because we just had brought her home and she was scared and the others ran her through it but the good thing about it is in the event that a horse goes through it they don't get seriously injured because its just wire. We have three strands so they can't get under, over, or through the middle.

Out big horse fence is electric and with two lines and my mini wouldn't get out--but I don't want to take chances if the fence suddenly stopped working or something.

I use two strands of electric fence for my mares. One strand about 7” of the ground and the other about 2-2.5’ from the ground. They learn to respect it and now I usually leave the fence off and they don’t bother it. The only time I have had one get out was when I was weaning a colt and the colt had a one track mind, looking for momma. My stallions have solid panels, and even then, I have had a hard time keeping the beggers in.

I use cattle fence. Most mini horse folks would never use it, But I love it. My horses purposly stick their legs in fencing, so I needed something with big enough squares that way the dont get stuck and injure themselves. Its 4.5ft tall x 330ft long for $160. The squares are 4x4 and its easy to put up and take down. I have moved 1/2 my pastures 4 times since 2004 and now in its final resting place (baught a farm).

I have 5 pastures, 2 stallion pads, 2 mare pads/drylots and 1 open grazing pasture.

100_1222.jpg

100_2492.jpg

DSC02742_cropped_6x4_sm.jpg

Five strands of electric in one area, four I another turnout. It is wire alternated with poly rope wire with the wire threads in it. Works great, caries a good charge and the rope makes it highly visible to horses and deer. Have used electric for 28 years now, best word of advice check often, ESP in summer when the weeds can short it out and use caps on the tops of the posts to prevent injury.

I use cattle fence. Most mini horse folks would never use it, But I love it. My horses purposly stick their legs in fencing, so I needed something with big enough squares that way the dont get stuck and injure themselves. Its 4.5ft tall x 330ft long for $160. The squares are 4x4 and its easy to put up and take down. I have moved 1/2 my pastures 4 times since 2004 and now in its final resting place (baught a farm).

I have 5 pastures, 2 stallion pads, 2 mare pads/drylots and 1 open grazing pasture.
Yeah thats what I use too--Éowyn does paw at the fence when I'm around so the squares are big enough for her not to get hurt--but she only seens to do it when I there and she gets it out right away.

This is what I had in Oregon. Lots of predator problems. Note the hot wire on both sides of the fence. This photo was taken before the fence was completely wired up.... but it gives you an idea what it looked like.

Woven field fence on the bottom, 9' tall T posts every 7', (would make them 8' tall in the ground, but in some areas, it would be more like 9 or 10' tall fence to predators because of the slopes) Camel Backs every 100' and properly stretched.

Predator rated charger.

This indeed kept the large male Black Bear... that had been trying his hardest to get in with the horses, out. Most he did was bent a T post and pop the three stop heavy duty strands of hot wire off. On one of his tries.

Also kept the cougars out and the packs of coyotes away from the horses.

nightpasturefencefinishedB.jpg

The gate can be a very weak link....

So we put "sweeps", top and bottom. Hot wire over the top. I could walk under it no problem.. only had to unhook it, when I took the tractor out.

gate.jpg

Here, we have decided to use Cattle panels for the most part. They can take packs of hunting dogs slamming up against them, while woven field fence won't handle that is well.

We do have predator rated hot wire, but the fence isn't as tall. We are only using 7' T posts here, every 8'.

Have been told the wild predators aren't as much as an issue as hunting dogs.

wow! thats some fancy fencing! I like it. I didnt know there were cougars in Oregon! We have coyote packs out back but our biggest issue seems to be loose dogs. Im liking the square fencing. Im not so worried about older horses but has anyone had issues with foals getting injured with the square livestock fence? I would imagine given enough room its easily avoidable?

Latest posts

Back