Fencing for mini!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
We finally got the fencing up that I decided to use for his own private place. It is 24x24 with his 8x8 covered stall. Is this big enough for my mini?

He is used to having the whole place by his self, back yard front yard etc. But due to evil creeps having poisoned my neighbors dogs I no longer feel he is safe to roam about on his own.

I used what they call a "snow barrier, crowd control, uv rated plastic fencing". IT comes in neon orange or green and 4x100 or 4x 50 foot rolls. Took us longer to put the T posts in then the plastic hehehe. We also used plastic ties to attach it to the posts. Looks great and is perfect for him since he never trys to leave his surroundings. He can still see out easily but won't go through it.

So is 24x24 foot corral big enough for him?? It is under trees for plenty of shade, has a big tree on the side so he can scratch his bottom and will be out of the rain!. I still have to rake up oak leaves and make sure there is nothing that can hurt or cut him then he is going inside!!

I will get pictures tomorrow when we finish it up.

I think if he is able to get out daily to run, it could work okay. My smallest areas that horses live in are two that are about 50x50 w/ 8x12 stalls. I have two like that and the rest of the areas are much bigger. They can and do run in the 50x50 area (currently have a mare/stallion in one and two fillies in the other).

Good luck!!!

Sounds to me like you are doing a lot of work to make a nice home for your horse.

The 8X8 stall with a 24 X 24 walk out shady paddock sounds wonderful for him. As long as you can keep the manure picked up and he can still get out of there daily for a good run in the yard where he can kick up his heels it sounds like a very nice set up. He should enjoy it very much. You can keep plenty of hay in there too so he won't eat on your tree or leaves and maybe add a few toys or a pool for summer. I would keep a very close on on the snow barrier. That is not fence, not good strong horse fencing at all and being plastic with a bunch of little holes in it can be a dangerous factor so do keep an eye on that for sure. I think you are doing very good as a horse mommy. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Thank you Marty, yes I am trying. The stall I had for him before was just falling apart and since I had to put my goats in it til they were sold or weaned I decided he needed something new. On a very strict budget I didn't have to many options for him. What I could do is make it safe and plenty of room for him to move about.

He will only be in there at night and when I am not home. During the day he still has the whole place to roam. We have so much junk on my property after almost 40 years of family living. Junk cars, metals, stuff laying around. We are working on getting this cleaned up but it will take us for ever so I wanted him to have a safe place of his own.

Once we get the back cleaned up he will have half a acre of his very own! I am hoping to find a little gelding partner for him one day so he won't be so lonely. He is my life but I know I am not his hehehe. So he needs a nuddy and not a blasted goat who stills his food!

Sounds like your really trying to make a nice little home for your guy. Let me say...PLEASE PLEASE be very careful w/the snow fence. I foolishly rescued a 2 yr.old stallion about 5 yrs.ago...wormy, skinny...the whole sha-bang. I did not think it through....had no barn no fence Nothing...just wanted to get him out of a bad situation.....well it wasnt my intention but I put him right in another bad situation. Did the same as you w/the snow fence...tied it real well to posts...he started nibbling grass near the fence and was able to stretch it enough to fit right under it...pulled the fence tighter and he did the same thing. I was able to watch him the 2nd time. The little begger!! Couple days later he put his hoof through it and was able to trample it and get 3 hoofs through 3 different holes and in his struggle and twisting and twisting had that plastic so tight I thought it was cutting into his skin or at least cutting off his circulation. I was finally able to cut it off but if I had not been around who knows how long he would have been struggling.

My friend ended up housing him for me until I had proper field fence and hot wire but her little girl fell in love w/him and he was gelded and now lives happily down the street.

Please dont think Im trying to slam you in any way its just that these little horses I think go looking for ways to get in to mischief and make us worry. If there is something that can go wrong it usually does with my guys.

Good luck with your little guy and enjoy your summer. Heidi

Thank you Heidi, I would never think you were slamming me honey, you just gave me information that may help my little man.

Last week or maybe 2 weeks ago my dog chased him into a old roll of hog wire. My hubby went down to feed him and the goats and he came running up all out of breath, he has COPD pretty bad. All he could say was "ShotGun, wire, need help" I of course panicked and I ran, well I can hardly walk but I ran down there and here is my precious man standing in this old roll of wire. He did not struggle to get loose, he simply stood there, pawing his foot until I came and fed him.

He turned around and looked at me whith a slow shake of his head like asking me what took me so long heheh. Little begger he is.

We had to cut him out of this wire, me in tears thinking the worse. The blessed horse did not move a muscle, he stood there while we cuts the wires, he had them around his neck, legs, hoofs. When we were done I stepped back and called him to me. He just stood there for a minute, then lifted up his front feet as if he was checking then stepped right out of it.

Of course old silly me had to love on him and cry all over him as I was checking him out. He was perfect as always.

Once I get more money he will get a better fence but for right now this will have to do. Once it is raked out it will be a dry lot, nothing to eat around him etc!

Thank you again for the advice!!

JoeAnn

Latest posts

Back