Feeling movement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 mares that are pregnant (or suppose to be)
default_laugh.png
Blood work last fall came back positive for 1 of them; boarderline for the other; and then I purchased a filly that was (of couse) pasture bred ugh - so no idea on her - she looks very prego. The two I know about are 254-264 days along; and the other is 237-252 days a long. They have big belly's that really stick out on the sides now and drop down in the middle. However - so far I have been unable to feel any movement. I have tried to feel almost everywhere
default_wub.png
and so far I don't think I have felt anything. I read on here before where some feel movement early - other's never feel any movement. Any suggestions on where to feel. Is there anyway to hear foals heartbeat, etc.?

Hi! I have a pregnant rescue mare that I have NO idea when she's due but I feel that foal doing cartwheels everyday! I can usually feel him (yes I said him
default_wink.png
) about 6-9 inches in front of her udder. The most active time is late at night, he almost doesn't stop for a minute! In the morning he is sleeping and I almost never feel him then! So I'd say try different times of the day. Good luck!

~Tammy

I think you may be a little early to feel movement or see it. Each horse is an individual. I have the hardest time on maidens and also the taller ones that seem to have more room.

The smaller ones and the ones that have had several babies seem to be the easiest.

I pulled mine first pregnant mares into the barn at 270 days and I could see movement on both, non maiden mares.

Yes one of the mare's is a maiden mare. The other mare had a filly last May. I have read alot and some feel movement (or what they think is movement) very early like 5 months and others say they don't think they ever feel movement!! Our vet has had us remove the girls from the pasture for the last 2-3 months of their terms - because we do have some fescue in the pasture - so we have kept them off that pasture. We have 4 mini's and these are our first mini's - so I am anxious, nervous, and excited at the same time. I have never had mares before, my husband has and has had a mare that had a foal previously - so he has been through it at least the one time! I will keep trying to feel movement as they get closer to due dates. The little mare that we bought that was pasture bred - actually looks like she might be the first to deliver. She is small 29.0 - but she has previously had 5 foals that I was able to look up in AMHA. Learning alot! This forum has been a great learning tool - lots of different ways of doing the same things.

Five months gestation is earliest we've ever felt anything, and even then it's only a "flutter". The best time is while the mare is eating or drinking. From seven months on, you'll start feeling more pronounced movements and eventually you may able to actually SEE. Again, the best time is when she is eating.

I felt good strong movement at about 213 days. Every night at night feed/check I give Lex a treat and feel the little one bounce around in there (9 times out of 10 he/she is awake and active). The best place I have found is just in front of the udder; but really all along her belly you can feel something. She's at 245 days (8 mos.) as of tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a bred Mini mare, but I have had many bred full sized mares. It seems the foals were most active after mom drank a cold bucket of water. I'd give mom her water, and about 1 minute later the rodeo began!

We can feel movement in our mares that are bred. If you put your hand right in front of the udder in the late evening that is the best place. If I place my hand there and talk to the mares belly the little ones start running. Julie tries talking to the mares but doesn't really get movement. I think it could be due to my deep voice that they are running. LOL But right in front of the udder is best. We might look like we are nuts saying where is the pretty baby but hey whatever works.

Latest posts

Back