Feeding Young Show Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Omelene but for growing younsters like the Jr. even better. It is formulated for their growing and developing whereas the Omelene is just grain with some things added.

I feed about half Jr. and half good quality alfalfa hay- however do not free feed it. I have fed this to adult show horses too with great success. I also like keeping it simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched from OMelene 200 to strategy a couple of years ago and have been really pleased with the condition and muscling of our horses. Their energy level is very good and my horses look better than ever. We also feed a an excellent quality alfalfa orchardgrass mix hay twice daily as well. The only other additive I give is ground flax seed in the mornings. They have really nice coats and a nice weight over the top of their backs and nice hip muscling on them, and I have seen a difference in the crestiness of the neck and cleanliness through the shoulders as well. I think feeding the miniatures can be a bit harder sometimes in that you just have to really keep a close eye on their weight, if they begin leveling out and getting a bit too heavy, cut them back 10% or 20% and watch them closely. I have show horses in the barn that can be at different feed levels at different times of the year. It seems some of them need a bit more in the spring and then you can back them off a bit later. If I have a very thin or immature horse come in we feed either a bit of soaked beet pulp or body builder until the horse has gained the weight and muscle that I want him to achieve. The majority or horses here are on 2 to 5 eight ouce cups of grain twice daily, really just depends on the horse and the age and condition of the horse at that time.

I never mix oats in with my grain as it will cause your feeding program to be unbalanced in their vitamins and nutrition. Its much simpler to just raise it a bit or drop your feed amount and try that way to get the horse to their optimum weight and condition.

Keep in mind too that different feeds have different caloric quanities too. Some of the cheaper feeds have less calories so you have to feed more, thus the horse is not recieving as good a quality of grains and ingrediants and your having to feed more so it doesnt really save you money in the long run.

Just keep a close eye on your horse, feel his back and hips and check often to see if he has good weight covering him in the right areas. Feel his crest to see how hes doing there too and the shoulder area too. Show horses today need to be clean in those areas. Watch your horse, is he bright eyed and energetic? This is what I like to see in a horse and its pretty amazing what a good feeding program can do for your horses. If youre going to show, especially, your horses nutrition is going to play a huge part in how he looks and performs for you.

There are lots of good feeds out there, Omelene, Equine Jr. Buckeye too. The strategy has worked for us well so we have kept with it, keeps things simple and weve had temendous luck in the show ring with our horses on it. Good luck to you!

All of our horses are on Strategy by Purina Mills.

That includes weanlings, yearlings, broodmares, show horses and maintance horses - it works for ALL of them.

Some horses I add beet pulp to their Strategy and that really does the trick, the Strategy is excellent for putting a good shine on them. Its filled out underweight horses for me and I have a lot of trust in Strategy.

I started out weanlings out on Omolene 300 and liked it, but would have liked to see better results. Tried Equine Junior ...... NOT a fan. I'm actually not a fan of most of the "complete" feeds .... they seem great if you lack hay / hay quality but i've never got the results that I want on those sort of feeds.

Here its all Strategy (and beet pulp, for some). Show season most everyone will be on beet pulp, however, for the most part they keep well on strategy. I do not like to add oils.

Weanlings are on Strategy 2x a day with beet pulp and free choice hay / pasture most 24/7. Yearlings are on a diet sort of like our mature horses, except more strategy and beet pulp to keep them filled in on top during that yearling year.

Here is my 2yr old classic shetland mare .... she was on only 3 cups of Strategy 2x a day with 3/4 flake of orchard grass/alfalfa hay 2x a day. I did not even have her on beet pulp this past summer as she looked wonderful on the strategy. I swear its like the Strategy goes into them and turns straight to muscle (i think that has to do with the quality of protein in the feed) ... it does most my work for me
default_smile.png

x-6fffd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Our show boys "Allure Ranch Spirits Loyal Guardian" and "Allure Ranch Spirits Sacred Profit" were feed the following by the trainer. [/SIZE]

This is feed to them twice a day:

Purina Omoleen 500 - (2) 1/2 cups of grain

Beet Pulp - (2) 1/2 cups soaked beet plup

Alfalfa - handful

They are also neck sweated and conditioned daily....

[SIZE=12pt]Our show boys "Allure Ranch Spirits Loyal Guardian" and "Allure Ranch Spirits Sacred Profit" were feed the following by the trainer. [/SIZE] 

This is feed to them twice a day:

Purina Omoleen 500 - (2) 1/2 cups of grain

Beet Pulp - (2) 1/2 cups soaked beet plup

Alfalfa - handful

They are also neck sweated and conditioned daily....

I haven't heard of the Omelene 500 or tried it. I'll check the purina site for it. But, speaking in layman's terms, what is the difference between the 200 and the 500? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back