Feeding/Worming Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
Okay so here is the situation (truly never been here because I am so anal with babies etc and their care).

We bought a new QH mare this weekend and she is thin, dull coated, and wormy. We wormed his last night with Safeguard, and started her on some Omolene 200, Grass/Alfalfa mix hay, and Millenium Gold vit/min supplements.

Her foal we also purchased he is 6 months old extremely thin, infested with worms, not as dull coated, but truly a hurting little guy.

I would be interested to know everyone's advice on feeding these two horses, so as not to shock their system too much, but at the same time get them back going in the correct direction.

Good quality hay will go a long way along with plenty of clean water. I would start slow on grain and supplements. Our vet recommended probiotics about a week after worming for our 2 starved minis. I think you should worm the little one too and follow up with probiotics. Definitely have your vet come out and take a look at them. And have teeth checked. As their nutrition improves, you'll find the coat quality will improve as well.

Good luck!

Oh BOTH were wormed with Safeguard thought I put that, I realize so much will change with coat quality etc.

I just want to see a general feeding regimine that people would recommend.................

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rob,

Robin C. is the person you really need to speak with. In addition to the voluminous research she has done, she also is in contact with a number of highly credentialed equine nutritionists and other experts.

I understand that she is recovering from back surgery and therefore hasn't been here much lately, but you can always PM her.

Hey Rob

No experience here with feeding "starved horses", but personally, just in terms of feeding, lots of grassy hay and NO GRAIN! I'm sure your gut is telling you the same.

Matt

Here is an excellent article on feeding starved horses Nutrition for Rehabilitating the Starved Horse.

The researchers found that alfalfa was the best feed for horses in starved condition. A severly underweight horse is fragile and it's very important to keep the electrolytes balanced which alfalfa will do as well as provide 'safe' calories.

I've fed several starved horses an alfalfa based diet with great results. Good luck with yours!

This colt is at a body condition of about a 3. We will just maintain the alfalfa diet for a while and after a month or so we will get him on some grain. He is perking up slowly and I am sure as more and more worms leave the little guys body it will only get better.

Rob, I've also had good luck adding some Red Cell to the diet of a starved horse that wasn't interested in eating. A wormy horse can be anemic and a product like Red Cell can give them the boost they need!

Latest posts

Back