Feeding weanlings - what works best for you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do want to add that one must be very careful adding a vitamin/mineral supplement to a commercial feed when feeding young, growing horses. It's easy to really throw off the vitamin/mineral balance which greatly affects bones and joints.
Just want to add that when thinking about adding a supplement, always ask your vet first. They will know if it is necessary or if something else might be. When feeding high amounts of alfalfa, beet pulp, and also a jr feed or a high protein feed-please ask your vet if a phosphorous supplement might be needed. There are also health risks if the calcium to phosphorous ratio gets too high, not just the other way around.

What we've done over the years is feed our young growing horses (up to 18+ mos) a complete "senior" pellet that is 14% protein / 5% fat / 18% fiber and plenty of soft orchard grass hay. Free access to water and mineral block and regular deworming... It isn't fancy, but it seems do do the job well.

I usually feed weanlings either Triple Crown 30% Supplement or Triple Crown Growth, plenty of grass hay, several hours-all day grazing and I do feed some soaked shredded beet pulp over winter. I add ground flax and probiotic/yeast supplment (different brands depending on what I can get) to all, so they get that also.

This is the first year I've had more than one at a time, and I guess they are being group fed. I have 3 feed dishes out, but they can go to any one they want; they tend to go to the same dish each time I put them in the stall for feed time.

In the past I had more than one weanling, so they were all fed hay and/or grazing time together outside during the day, and each got their own feed bucket in the stall in the morning before turn-out and at night (often 2 stalled together). This year I only have one weanling and it's a lot harder to figure out how to feed her plenty of hay/grazing during the day, and not all the adult (easy keepers)! Ugh, should have brought another weanling buddy home, LOL!

Hs-35 if what all the miniatures get, I would never feed them anything else! Superb.

I feed omolene 200 + equine Jr or Senior to my minis and yes purina even told me there is no difference in jr or senior per say. You have to be careful on feeding to much protien to a growing baby because they can hit a rapid growth and the bones will be growing to fast and the tendons can't keep up. They say that the horse only uses what they need but I have seen some cases in big horses where their protien levels were so high in their system that it cased growth issues.. I would rather feed 3x a day if need be then alot in just two feedings and a hay belly is much easier to get rid of then say, founder, crested neck or impaction..

I would just add what some have already indicated in their posts- the very best feed, even in winter, is free access to good grass. If this is not possible- and I appreciate that for some it is not, then free access to good protein hay is an acceptable substitute -

"What you put into a foal in the first year you get back for the rest of it's life" never a truer word was spoke!

I am feeding a textured grain/feed mix, Pace-Maker160, 16%protein,6%fat and 12% fiber. I get it at my local co-op but is is formulated by the Kentucky Equine Research Group. They get orchard grass hay and have a mineral/salt block. They get fed in the morning before turn out and evening when they come in their stall for the night. They share a stall but they each get their own feed pans. Josie is 7 months, Misty is 6 months.

I've fed Purina Ultium Growth to my pregnant mares, and foals up through their first year for the last 2-3 years. It's expensive but I sure like how my babies do on it. Not so bad now that colts are weaned, but it sure messes with my budget feeding the mares too at $28/29 a bag!

I have three colts this year and they are all fed together.... 3 tubs. One is considerably smaller than the others and I did separate him for awhile after they were weaned, but he's holding his own now. Have never figured out a way to successfully creep feed minis. I always seem to have a height mix of mares, hence the smaller mare gets under anything the taller colts can reach.

Jan

I'm getting a weanling in January and I have a mare now that's 10 I was always told not to give alfalfa as it is too rich and they will founder. This has been very interesting to read. Do you find that they tend to inhale the cubes or pellets and have a choking problem? I'm just paranoid that something will happen to them. I guess cause their so small if that makes sense.

Do you guys think hay alone (alf. or similar) is not enough to meet the needs of a weanling? Or do you try to reduce hay because it can give the belly? Wondering minds want to know.

Latest posts

Back