Feeding senior horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawgirl

Reaction score
I have a 23 year old gelding that still enjoys driving, and I'm hoping to get him in shape to maybe show a couple of times this year. Last year he had a mild case of laminitis and has recovered from that very well. I have been feeding him the Platform miniature feed since he had the laminitis and he also gets daily wormer and a little biotin. I've also been giving him a teaspoon of cinnamon. Over the winter he developed a terrible cough from the dust in the hay, which I now soak, and I've been giving him a teaspoon of Air Power daily, which has completely eliminated the cough. He looks good and his weight is very good, but lately he doesn't seem to have much energy.
default_no.gif
Some days he seems to feel pretty good and it's all I can do to keep him slowed down in the cart. But, then the next day, he is very tired. His teeth are in good shape and he sees the vet regularly and the farrier. I'm just wondering if I might need to switch him to a senior feed instead of the miniature feed. Any suggestions?

I have a 21 year old Stallion and I feed him Purina Equine Senior it is a complete feed. I absolutely love this grain! And our old man still acts like an energetic 3yr old! It also deposits fat in the correct places as well which also makes the older horse look younger as well.

~Jessica

At his age, it sounds quite normal for him to be "very tired" the day after being driven, especially since he apparently tends to go and go.
default_smile.png
He could be compared to a 70 year old human. I bet he has a BIG heart and lots of desire, but his age is catching up with him. You could try a senior feed, the Purina Senior is great stuff. You'll probably also need to go very slowly in his conditioning routine, and try to make sure that he doesn't overdo it. He may have some arthritis as well and could perhaps benefit from some medications for that, check with your vet.

It sounds like you love your boy very much.
default_smile.png

He does have a BIG heart and loves to please.
default_wub.png
That's him in my avatar, taken about ten years ago. He was my first mini, I got him twelve years ago after I had to quit riding because a big App broke my back! He helped my keep my sanity!I've been trying to drive him every other day and doing halter trail obstacles the other days. He's very smart! I just bought a six year old gelding to train for my next driving horse (he's the one in my other post) and they both have been getting the Platform miniature feed. I think maybe both of their diets need some changes and I'm interested in what others have used. Thanks for the replies!

I have two senior mares 20 and 17. They don't have any of the other issues your boy has so you'd want to consult a vet first but they look fantastic on Purina Equine Senior and Omelene. They also get Bermuda. One of them looked pretty good when I bought her but looks even better now I think. The other did not look good at all when I got her and looks great now. Both have tons of energy, hold their weight well and have nice shiny coats.

Here is one of them last Sunday just 3 days after foaling

Tidbit_Easter09.jpg

Well personally I hate the senior feeds and havent had much luck with them. I have a 25 year old big horse, who I have been trying to get weight. Per advice I put him on senior. I went against my better judgement. I have since switched him to broodmare and foal grain and he is doing way better. This boy never has a "slow" day.

I don't have any senior minis but I have a senior (23 yr old) big horse who has had 2 colic surgeries that removed 30 feet of his small intestines. After the second surgery my vet recommended a senior feed (after the surgeons told me he would probably be "nutritionally compromised") even though Target was only 15 at the time. I chose Nutrena Senior which is also a complete feed and have kept him on it ever since. He looks and acts great, and certainly does not act his age. Target also gets a joint supplement. I also feed this same feed to my mini stallion and he also does well on it. (Most of the rest get Safe Choice). I like the Senior feed because it is relatively low in carbs/sugars, has probiotics for digestion, and is a complete feed. It is 14% protein and there is nothing in it that would not make it a good feed for minis as long as you balance the vitamins and minerals.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 32yr old qtr LOVES strategy by Purina. He is a very picky eater but when he finds what he likes...he can EAT!!! LOL He hates senior feed. I have been thrilled with the results of Strategy. I feed it to every horse on my farm. Mares, Foals, and my "Old Man". He also gets 10cc of Body Builder a day. The Body Builder puts muscle on him and NO ONE believes that he is 32. Just my two cents worth.
default_saludando.gif
Missy

He is a beauty! Very handsome. I had not so good results with Platform and I won't feed it, but on the other hand, Purina Equine Sr has way too much sugar for a laminitic horse. Once they get that, they can be prone to it happening again. Look for something with less sugar than that.

The horse is 23 years young. He's up there. It is normal for him to get tired.

I just had another birthday. I'm exhausted! I just want to lay here!

Maybe you are working him too long and hard and need to cut the timing back. Some can handle more work than others as they grow old and perhaps your little guy is telling you he needs to slow down. The other thing that I would question is if he feet hurt and you don't realize it maybe? Why not try some boots? You really cannot go wrong there under your circumstances. It can't hurt anyhow. I would also assume he has arthritis and could use a good supplement. I don't think its just a case of needing to change feeds alone, but it could also help I suppose but steer clear of sugar overload for him that you will find in Equine Sr. Good luck and best wishes to you both.

It is hard to keep him from overworking himself sometimes. I try to keep him at a walk most of the time, but all he wants to do is trot! His feet don't seem to be hurting him and I do have easy boots for him. But he hates them and will try to get them off when he has them on. Most of the time we are working in the grass, so I only use them in rocks or on the road. Maybe I need to look into some senior supplements. Thanks for all the suggestions!
default_smile.png

My retired broodmare is 21. I feed her a senior feed and she's quite energenic! Out does the herd most of the time. I'm not sure about feeding it to your guy since you said his weight is good. Senior feed channels the energy into fat instead of physical energy (since most senior horses have problems keeping weight on). Maybe put him on a Strategy or Safe Choice (same feed, different companies). I feed Safe Choice to all my other horses and like the results. Its a good all around feed for horses of all ages. Remission is also a great product to help horses with laminitis. Maybe look into something like that to add to their feed. But as far as energy goes, you will probably have to select your driving classes. If they are split into 2 days (like our club's), choose the day to drive or do 1 class 1 day and the other the other day so that he doesn't use up all his energy in one day.

Cute boy! Glad you are keeping him happy!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back