Feeding schedule, etc

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Okay, the barn that I board my guy at has just been sold, which means different feeding schedules, different turnout, different ways of doing things, etc. and I'm very nervous about this.

His a.m. feeding time has changed from around 8 a.m to about 5:30 or 6:30 a.m. with turnout before this.

Dinner feeding changed from around 5 or 6 pm up to around 4 pm or so (or maybe later depending upon when the girl gets home from work).

Is this really a drastic change or do the horses really care as long as they get fed? I don't want the chance of colic due to a feeding change.

He'll have some hay with his breakfast, but that's all he'll have to munch on all day until dinner. Will this be okay?

Thanks
default_smile.png

signed...a worried mom
default_unsure.png
:

[SIZE=12pt]Well - I am definatly no expert here...But untill some one else of expertise does respond - here is my opinion. I bought three mini horses and one mini donkey last year - all had been on a pretty much scedualed feeding routine...I did not concider a switch in feeding routines a problem, I had purchased horses before ( not mini's though ) and just went on about buisness as usual. My animals adjusted fine. If your horse was going to experiance a drastic change - then you would have reason to worry. Such as adding lots of grain, when know grain was fed before - ect. JMO![/SIZE]

Lori

As long as the amounts and types of feeds stay the same, the time change probably won't have a big effect on your mini.

I don't really stick to an exact schedule, but I do try to be fairly consistent. I usually feed morning feed between 7:30 and 9 AM, but I've been as early as 5AM and as late at 10AM. I usually feed evening feed between 5 and 6 PM, but I've been as early as 2PM and as late as 9PM (winter it's 4PM, so that I can feed before dark). Things come up and you sometimes can't help but get off schedule.

I agree with Chandra. The timing isn't as important as any feed or quantity change.

Yes, horses like a routine. But it's more because of security than anything. Abrupt changes in their actual food is a health risk.

MA

Latest posts

Back