Feeding flaxseed and how much for mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibsongrrl

Reaction score
So I've got little Freddie now. He's a good weight now, lady I got him from was feeding him HE Hi-fat and hay. I feed my other horses a little flax and would like to for Freddie, too. His tail has been chewed/thinned by something and I think flax could help recondition his coat as well.

Do any of you guys feed flaxseed to you minis, and if so, how much?
default_smile.png

Thanks!

-Kristie

The ration balancer I feed (Buckeye Gro 'n Win) has flax in it, so I don't feed it separately. I'm interested in finding out, too, though
default_yes.gif

My show horses get about 1/8" cup of ground flax seed per feeding.

I get mine from SmarkPak. It is premeasured for miniatures. I have one horse on the flax and one on a joint supplement. The nice little packs come regularly every month and I know they are fresh. I don't care to buy these items in bulk for only 2 horses, as I don't feel the product stays fresh. So, for these 2 items, SmarkPak seems like a good idea.

Thank you! I'll work him to 1/8 cup and see how it goes.
default_smile.png

-Kristie

I'm feeding Omega Horseshine to a mare of mine with metabolic issues and I really like what it does. It's ground stabilized flax seed. 1-2 ounces per day for the average size mini.

Latest posts

Back