feeding beet pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
For those of you that feed beet pulp...

Do you feed year round?

Just in winter?

Always soak?

Pellets or shreds?

With or without molasses?

I tweaking my feed program a little and just wanted some more information.

I'm currently feeding homegrown grass hay (mix of brome, assorted wheatgrasses and prairie grass), Progressive Nutrition grass balancer pellets, [COB and senior (primarily for my senior full-size gelding, but my mini stallion does get 1/2 cup of the COB)], and soaked beet pulp pellets (no molasses). I have little to no selection here and don't plan to buy beet pulp from the same source again (which means if I want more beet pulp, I'll have to drive 130 miles one-way to pick up bulk pellets). The current source of beet pulp pellets are really dirty; misc non-bp pellets, oats, bolts and nuts, rocks and corn (I'm sorting every bag to feed just the bp, I bought three bags at one time - no point in taking it back (65 miles one-way), although I will be complaining, not that it'll do me any good, the feed store had new employees since I bought the bags :no: ).

I feed beet pulp year round to my 27 year old full size Saddlebred stallion but start the mini's up about 4 months prior to show season. I have 2 kinds of beet pulp pellets available in my area both without molassas. One store sells the same kind you seem to be getting, full of silty, sandy , dirty pellets with rocks, lentils or whatever. I go to great lengths not to feed dirt or sand to my horses! Before I knew there was a different source, I washed and strained every bucket (after soaking) until the pulp was clean (this was very time consuming). I found another feed store that carried a different brand it is is clean and smells good with out washing and that is the only brand I now use. I mix Omelene 200 and ground flax and my horses just love it. Adding the beetpulp reduces my horses hay consumption and they look great. I operate a training barn so my horses have to look good and I have had great luck with beet pulp.

I feed it year round. Always soaked. The shredded with molasses. My breeding stock get just a little as a treat (they really love it!). The show horses and prospective show horses get much more to keep them from getting hay bellies. In fact, right now, they just need a bit of toning to be ready to show!

I also feed Progressive Alfalfa Balancer and alfalfa pellets. Hope I've helped!

Viki

I feed shredded beet pulp dry. My show horses get varying amounts depending on their size and weight. Usually 2- 5 ounces twice a day. My breeding herd just gets a small amount daily. I mix it in with 50lbs of alfalfa pellets. Each horse gets a can of alfalfa pellets with some of the beet pulp mixed in. I do feed it soaked if necessary, but really like the ease of feeding it dry.

I always feed it soaked year around 2 x a day. My horses love it and everyone talks about how nice they look. I also feed alfalfa pellets (since we couldn't get alfalfa hay), timothy hay, and Buckeye Supreme. I love feeding ALL my horses beet pulp. I give it to all my show horses, my mares, babies and even my pet gelding. :aktion033:

We feed soaked beet pulp shreds with molasses year round to the big horses, my IR gelding (rinsed several times), the 30+ year old gelding, and a filly that doesn't like the Diet Balancer.

Our big horses are mature pasture ornaments, so they are getting soaked beet pulp, oats to balance it, and alfalfa pellets for protein.

In general, the minis get the Progressive Nutrition Grass Balancer, and up to 1 cup of oats. If they need more than that, we add the Envision Classic made by Progressive. One pound of Envision equals three pounds of oats, so it is very concentrated. The broodmares also get one cup of alfalfa pellets. The show horses get the Balancer, up to 1 cup of oats, 1/2 cup measured dry beet pulp, and Envision. We have just recently started feeding the show horses dry beet pulp, and they love it. The bag even says you can. It is so much easier than having to soak it. However, I do have one filly that doesn't like her Diet Balancer, so we give her one cup measured dry of beet pulp, but it is soaked. Then she gets the correct amount of oats to balance the beet pulp, and she also gets Envision.

The non-show horses get grass hay, and the show horses get half of their hay as alfalfa, and the other half as grass hay.

[SIZE=14pt]I feed dry shreads with molasses. Mine only get it soaked when it is very cold.[/SIZE]

Lyn

All of our stalled and dry lot horses get beet pulp and grain 2x daily, soaked, year round. In the winter its' soaked in hot water, in the summer in cool water. I use shredded plain beet pulp in our mix, it comes in 40 pound bags and although I've had times when the texture is finer than others I've never had a problem with dirt, other objects, etc in it.

The pasture girls will get a nice warm soupy beet pulp meal on really cold days.

krisp

I feed beet pulp year round. The only kind I am able to purchase is the pellets with molasses, so I always soak it. Hot water in winter, cool water in summer. I rinse it to get some of the molasses out too. My horses LOVE their beet pulp.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back