Feed question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im getting beet pulp tomarrow too
If you've not used it before, don't forget to soak (especially in winter, it helps to hydrate them when they don't always drink as much as they should); and its an acquired taste for many, so start with a very small amount.

My newest mare thought I was trying to poison her when she first got here and I started her on beet pulp, now she meets me at the gate and demands her share.
default_wink.png

yeah hawks never had it atleast since ive had him but nemo got a handfull of dried beet pulp and whatever grass was in the field before i got him

I will repeat what Chanda has said - never feed dry sugar beet! Too much danger of choke if too much gets swallowed at once and the moistue in the gullet makes the beet swell. Also dry beet in the stomach will absorb too much from the digestive juices to rehydrate itself and cause the whole system to become dehydrated which is not good for the horse, plus could cause a blockage further on through the intestines (remember that a horse is 'designed' to live on grass/green food, which means that its system works best on a continuous supply of moist food).

Always cover your beet with plenty of water and soak preferably overnight - come morning your beet should be fully hydrated plus some water left over unused in your container. You can then decide whether to feed it 'sloppy' mixed in with whatever other food you are offering, or you can take a handful and squeeze some of the water out before adding it, just depends upon what your horse needs at that time.
default_yes.gif

I only skimmed the replies, so sorry if this was already covered.

I can't easily get alfalfa HAY in this area, so I use the cubes, which I always feed soaked. They are a good way to increase protein in the diet and also, because they are high in calcium, they are easy on the stomach. Sort of like taking Tums with your meals.

The TOTAL protein in the diet of a growing mini is what is important, so you need to "do the math" to figure out what that is. If you are feeding grass hay, which is usually around 10% protein, even if your grain is 14-16% protein, you need to be feeding MORE grain by weight than hay to get the total protein up to 12-14%. That is also where adding alfalfa helps because the protein is higher - more like the grain (best to test your hay). But you also don't want to feed too high a protein level either. That can happen if the horse is getting almost all grain and virtually no hay.

Beet pulp (soaked!) is considered a forage, so that can be substituted for some of the hay. I soak mine for 20 min - 1/2 hour before the PM feeding and keep the rest at room temp overnight for feeding the next morning. It can be an acquired taste, but most of them will get to really like it, even plain (which is what I recommend - without the molasses).

ok thank you well be leaving here hopefully soon to go to the grain store ill see what they have.. Im just waiting on my cousin to come pick up her baby she was suposed to be here 45 minutes ago ... Ohwell gives me more time to research lol

hawks_eye_minis, you may want to switch to the equine vets in Lodi. they are very knowledgeable about minis and are very good to work with. jennifer

Thats what i herd THANK YOU

Anyways

I picked up alfelfa pellets they didnt have alfelfa hay or cubes in and i picked up beet pulp they didnt have any kent jr feed so im having them order some in they only had one OLD bag of neutrina mare and foal they said thye dont usuallu stock it in the winter there isnt alot of demand till spring? ohwell there ordering me some so well get it when they get it in hopefully next week

It's an old wives' tale that beet pulp must be soaked, but it is only beneficial to do so. Some say just the shreds need to be soaked, but I find the pellets to absorb so much more water and be harder than hay pellets so I don't know why that would be.

Many feeds have shredded beet pulp as a filler, and it's not soaked.

Andrea

I dont know i made up beet pulp for both horses hawk that has never had it to my knowlege i dont even think took a second to look or smell it lol before inhaling it ... BUT nemo wont touch it unles i sit and hand feed him OR i let the dog take a bite then he will ect im about to go back out and check and see if he finnaly ate any of it without me being out there

It's an old wives' tale that beet pulp must be soaked, but it is only beneficial to do so. Some say just the shreds need to be soaked, but I find the pellets to absorb so much more water and be harder than hay pellets so I don't know why that would be.

Many feeds have shredded beet pulp as a filler, and it's not soaked.

Andrea
Interesting... I've heard the opposite, that the pellets must be soaked (more due to the size and hardness of the pellet than water absorbtion issues). I've fed the shreds dry, small amounts, with no problems.

Some horses dont like beetpulp, but I havent had one that I couldnt get to eat it. Try mixing even just a tablespoon of it into his grain at first, if he takes that, up it a little each day until hes at the amount you want. I have a horse who I used to have to soak his entire grain ration with his BP to get him to eat it. Hes the same boy that now when I feed it, I have to completely strain it, or he wont touch it.

I already told you about trying some pancake syrup to get him eating it, then weaning him off of it.

Oh, heres a tip. If he ends up picky like my boy Moe and you have to strain it, I use a little pot thats made for cooking/straining spaghetti. It has a lid that kind of screws on and has strainer sized holes in one side. I soak it with the lid on, then strain it in the same pot. Saves a couple minutes each day.

Latest posts

Back