feed question for chunky minis??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren

Reaction score
OK, so both my minis need Jenny craig! I have had Ginger since April and Gracie since June. Both were round when they got here but I have not been able to get them to lose weight. I had the Vet out yesterday and she suggested lose all grain and switch to grass hay and ENRICH™ 32 supplement. I only give them a handful of grain as it is but they are still chunkos! I don't want health problems so I am just trying to get sound advice from all you more experienced mini people! Thanks for your help!!

Brenda

Harmony Rescue Ranch-VA

Try them on just hay. Are they working at all? If not, they probably don't need anything else (by what you're saying). BMaybe just added vitamins and, of course, a salt lick etc.

I have a couple of minis that always look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy or girl
default_wub.png
always have to watch them. I give just enough grain (handful) to bring them in from the pasture and have alot less on hay or pasture also...they are way easy keepers.

I really wish Purina would stop screwing around with their products and changing their names. Enrich 32 used to be Born to Win which is a ration balancer. My two terrible fatties get this and it keeps them looking nice. If your horses are that fat, they don't need any grains added to this unless they are being protein/calorie deprived which apparently they are not.

You can feed this with hay/grass and they should look really good in a month or so.

If they are healthy , leave them alone....lots of fat people are healthy and happy, animals have different metabolisms, just as we do.

A couple of centuries ago all those people we call "fat" nowadays would have been idolised.

I'm sick of skinny people and skinny horses, I really am.

The ONLY thing that matters is the health of the animal/person.

If that is not in jeopardy, leave them be.

I am happy and proud to have a field full of rotund but happy and healthy animals.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought. Did the vet check their thyroid levels? If their thyroid levels are off that can cause over weight. I had two that foundered because I couldn't get the weight off. Put them on medication and they both lost weight.

If they are healthy , leave them alone....lots of fat people are healthy and happy, animals have different metabolisms, just as we do.A couple of centuries ago all those people we call "fat" nowadays would have been idolised.

I'm sick of skinny people and skinny horses, I really am.

The ONLY thing that matters is the health of the animal/person.

If that is not in jeopardy, leave them be.

I am happy and proud to have a field full of rotund but happy and healthy animals.
default_smile.png

I disagree with you, Jane. An overweight anything is not healthy (person, horse, etc.). Horses get fat when they are overfed and sedentary. Naturally, horses are constantly on the move. They're put in an unnatural state (stall etc.) and overfed and not worked. Great recipe for all sorts of health problems. Health and weight go hand-in-hand. It's MUCH healthier to be at optimal weight, if not even a bit under. When anyone is eating a truly healthy diet (lots of fruit, vegetables etc/no red meat and junk food), they are healthy and the side benefit is a healthy looking body and a proper weight. The same goes for animals.

Okay, I am going to take a different approach here. Is you vet well versed on minis, and are they truely FAT? Some of the horses that are out there today are just plain thin, not toned, but thin.

Most of the high end show minis are on a strict exercise plan to get them into that top notch show shape.

One other thing to consider is forage/hay, make sure there is always enough of it. I don't know if there are alot of trees surrounding your property, but I do see you live in VA. The leaves will be falling soon,(red maple leaves, any part of the black walnut tree, and choke cherry trees are very bad things) if they are not getting what they need in their diet, or if they are bored, and others just like to search for anything that may look good.

So just some food for thought, are they chunky or OBESE.

These things may have already crossed your mind, but just incase they didn't......

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back