Feed mix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has the feed mill mix up special feeds for you. I am considering it, since I mix in BOSS, Beet pulp, Alfalfa pellets, and use a 12-8 feed.

What would the percentages be, if I were to do this, say per 50 pounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did have rolled oats and barley mixed for me several years ago, and they required 1/4 ton minimum and they charged a mixing fee (don't remember how much) and a bagging fee.

What percentages, would depend on how much you are feeding them now of each feed. A good feed mill should be able to calculate the amounts based on what you're feeding them now when you mix as you go; but you will have to have a weight for each item, not a cup of this and a cup of that.

Since, I feed my horses based on individual needs, it wouldn't work for me to pre-mix what I'm feeding; some get more, some get less of the different ingredients.

thanks chandab. Mine all maintain well, and all eat the same thing. I buy a 1/2 ton at a time, so that will not be a biggie. I guess a little of this and a little of that will not work well
default_laugh.png

If you talk to a nutritionist at a good feed mill in your area, they should be able to help you calculate and come up with the percentages of each feed and they should also be able to tell you what they would charge to do it. Having them pre-mix it will add to the cost. If you get bulk, not too big a deal, but if you want it bagged, they'll add a bagging fee (last time I did, it was like 50 cents a bag, but that was 10 years ago).

Latest posts

Back