February is Heart Month!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesFamily

Reaction score
We all know February and hearts go hand in hand! We've all heard the Heart Association's Go Red campaign. But February is also the time for Congenital Heart Defects Awareness.

• Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 birth defect. Source: March of Dimes
  • Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. Source: March of Dimes
  • About 1 out of every 100 babies are born each year with some type of Congenital Heart Defect. (approx. 40,000/year) Source: Children's Heart Foundation
  • Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the United States each year as from all forms of childhood cancers combined, yet funding for pediatric cancer research is five times higher than funding for CHD. Source: Children's Heart Foundation
  • This year approximately 4,000 babies will not live to see their first birthday because of Congenital Heart Defects. Source: Children's Heart Foundation
  • Although some babies will be diagnosed during gestation or at birth, sometimes the diagnosis is not made until days, weeks, months, or even years after. In some cases, CHD is not detected until adolescence or adulthood. Source: March of Dimes
  • It is a proven fact that the earlier CHD is detected and treated, it is more likely the affected child will survive and have less long term health complications. Source: March of Dimes
I wanted to share this picture with you of some of the strongest kids I know! They have all been friends since they were toddlers:

59403_1593756845102_1271361902_1663002_8310927_n.jpg

Left to right - Maddy (Heart Defect - 3 open heart surgeries); Zane (Heart Defect - 3 open heart surgeries and a pacemaker); Adrienne (Born with Chiari Malformation and Hydrocephalus - she has had 2 surgeries on her brain and spinal cord); Olivia - laying down (Heart Defect - no surgeries); Miranda - in back (lost her little sister to heart defects); Kennedy (2 Heart Transplants and now battling post-transplant lymphoma and undergoing chemotherapy; Max (Heart Defect - 3 open heart surgeries). And we can't forget the most photographic dog - Tinker the Wonderdog!

These are the amazing faces of Congenital Heart Defects!

Thank you for allowing me to step up on my soapbox!

Barbara

Back