Farrier issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
As mostly everyone knows, I keep my horses at a boarding facility. The facility has a regular vet who does all shots and such, and a farrier who visits once a week on tuesday, and does all of the horses in the barn on rotation. He does an awesome job with the big horses, I never had a problem with how he did my big horses, but he always seems to mess up my minis feet. He always seems to take off all toe, and has them standing like they are wearing platform shoes, if that makes sense. Actually, he messed domingo up the other day. NONE of his angles match. It does seem that all he did was take toe off. Now, this IS partially my fault as I was not there to ask him to do it differently. Generally, I am not there when he is there, the barn manager holds the horses for him. I will make it a point to be there now, since I am NOT happy with the way my horses are being done. What is the nicest way to explain to him that he is not doing my horses feet right and has them standing up too much on their heels? Honestly, I dont know much about feet to even explain to him what I want done.

I do know what they are supposed to look like, but not how to get the message across.

Is there a general thing I can tell him like "make his hoofs X angle" and he should know what im talking about?

Like I said, he does an amazing job with the big horses, and is very reliable, but in the past he told me that he hasn't done minis a lot, and when he has they have mostly been driving horses, and the owners had requested the toes been left very long. I think if I give specific instructions or heck, maybe even pictures, he will do what I want. I just dont want to insult the guy. So, what do I need to tell him to get my horses hoofs back where they need to be, and does anyone have any good hoof pictures where you can see the hoof angle well?

If it matters, the horse is a halter and driving horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
most minis will angle at 45 to 50 degrees. Remember you cannot change the angle they were born with or you could do real damage.

I think what you are trying to describe is that the farrier needs to "lower the heels" I have seen a lot of mins that need that. the farrier barely touches the toe and then lowers the heel to get them balanced and flat. If horses like this are trimmed wrong they almost look club footed or like you said like they are walking on high heels

I had this problem with our local farrier. SHe said she was new to it too. I told her what and how I wanted it done and she did it. DOn't beat around the bush. Your paying him so he needs to do it right. Just be blunt but nice and tell him straight out. And if you could provide a photo, I think that would help him out alot.

Maybe just tell him what you told us.
default_smile.png
Trimming a mini's hooves just isn't that different from a big horse's, so he should be able to do it just as well. Does he have trouble getting "under" your mini? Maybe he finds it awkward to work on him and thus messes up the angles. Hope you can help him get it right before he damages your horse's feet!

Hi Megan, D normally needs a bit more heel anyways, especially on his hind hoofs. He'll go lame of it's all taken away. We normally had him on a 50 degree on the front and probably the same on the hind.

Most farriers don't know how to do a mini foot. This was how it was explained to my hubby (since he took over doing it after we had to move away from my super great farrier!).

Heel 1"

Toe 1 3/4"

This is general for most minis. Then you farrier would be able to tweek the measurements from there. Some minis may need smaller or larger measurements. But the difference between the toe and heel are about the same. That way you don't have to explain angles if the farrier doesn't get it (some should, but who knows??).

Most farriers don't know how to do a mini foot. This was how it was explained to my hubby (since he took over doing it after we had to move away from my super great farrier!).
Heel 1"

Toe 1 3/4"

This is general for most minis. Then you farrier would be able to tweek the measurements from there. Some minis may need smaller or larger measurements. But the difference between the toe and heel are about the same. That way you don't have to explain angles if the farrier doesn't get it (some should, but who knows??).
I said it on the other post about hoof angles and I will say it again here - EVERY horse is an individual and EVERY hoof is also an individual. There is no set length or angle of foot that you can use as a RULE on any hoof. Horses need to be trimmed so that the angle of their hoof matches the angle of their pasterns and at a length so that the frog has contact with the ground and the hoof wall is on a plane with the outer sole and no shorter. Any GOOD farrier will do this for your horse, if he "doesn't get it" find another!!! I have B size Minis here that if you were to trim them to 1 3/4" they would never walk again!!!

As mostly everyone knows, I keep my horses at a boarding facility. The facility has a regular vet who does all shots and such, and a farrier who visits once a week on tuesday, and does all of the horses in the barn on rotation. He does an awesome job with the big horses, I never had a problem with how he did my big horses, but he always seems to mess up my minis feet. He always seems to take off all toe, and has them standing like they are wearing platform shoes, if that makes sense. Actually, he messed domingo up the other day. NONE of his angles match. It does seem that all he did was take toe off. Now, this IS partially my fault as I was not there to ask him to do it differently. Generally, I am not there when he is there, the barn manager holds the horses for him. I will make it a point to be there now, since I am NOT happy with the way my horses are being done. What is the nicest way to explain to him that he is not doing my horses feet right and has them standing up too much on their heels? Honestly, I dont know much about feet to even explain to him what I want done.I do know what they are supposed to look like, but not how to get the message across.

Is there a general thing I can tell him like "make his hoofs X angle" and he should know what im talking about?

Like I said, he does an amazing job with the big horses, and is very reliable, but in the past he told me that he hasn't done minis a lot, and when he has they have mostly been driving horses, and the owners had requested the toes been left very long. I think if I give specific instructions or heck, maybe even pictures, he will do what I want. I just dont want to insult the guy. So, what do I need to tell him to get my horses hoofs back where they need to be, and does anyone have any good hoof pictures where you can see the hoof angle well?

If it matters, the horse is a halter and driving horse.
hey I just wanted to say that most farriers who trim minis don't take enough heel off . In large horses it is hard to get good heel growth therefor whatever heel you can grow is left on there...I am a farrier and i am sure if you tell your farrier to take off more heel he will do that for you. I don't believe that 1" inch of heel is a good rule to go by.too much heel will prevent the frog from serving it's purpose. the heels should be trimmed so that the frog (after being trimmed up) should just barely be touching the ground. some minis tend to have really upright feet so you will be limited as to how much heel you can take off. your farrier should know his limits with these upright feet. but upright feet don't normally need any toe takes off because that is where they ware the most. a good guide is looking at your horses hoof pastern axis and if the pastern angle matches the hoof angle all is good! I hope this helps

Jason, I'll let him know to do him about 50 degrees all around. Right now he is probably at 65 or better, and has a LOT of heel. The farrier only took off toe when he trimmed him...

I'm going to make sure to be there when he gets trimmed again.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys normally pay to have your minis trimmed?

Well said, MiLo, I whole-heartedly agree.

There is not just one trim for a horse. Each is an individual, each has their own hoof size and shape and angle. Trying to make every horse conform to one size is just a really bad idea.

In fact, you CAN have different angles on the same horse! Just as humans sometimes have one leg longer than the other, horses are imperfect creatures too. Please use a trimmer who will trim to the animal's needs and not to some "ideal" that will cause more harm than good. Minis are no different (other than size) to trim than a big horse and it should not be that difficult to transition from big to little horses.

Best of luck.

Back