Farm Maintenance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
I have a question for all the ladies on here that do their own farm maintenance. When you move piles (of dirt, poop, lime, etc) around do you use a skid loader or a compact tractor with a special scoop? We've had a Bobcat for years, and this year I've decided that instead of waiting for someone else to do the big work for me, I'd like to learn how to use the equipment and just get it done myself. I'm now being told that Bobcats are too much for women to handle (we won't even go there) and that I'm better off with a lawn mower size tractor (we already have two larger ones). What does everybody on here use?

I love our skidloader. When we first got one, i will admit, I was a little intimidated. (no steering wheel LOL) But my husband showed me what controlled what, and it was a breeze.

I wouldn't be without one now. They are very easy to drive/ use.

They maneuver like a dream.

Safety wise: I always do make sure there is no one behind me when I am backing up (our grandkids live with us) (but you would do that with any vehicle)

Have your husband show you how to drive it. Once you do, you will wonder why you didn't do it before
default_smile.png

Cindy

Well I'm not a lady. But I have a compact tractor and am very pleased with it. I've been around construction alot of years and for the farm I prefer the tractor. I have a bucket on the front of mine, just like big tractors, and a 3 point hook up just like big tractors, but I have a lot of attachements for the back of it. And I use them all. I have a box scraper, land scape rake, 4 foot mower. 4 foot straight blade I also have a back hoe attachment which comes in very handy. The bucket on the front is 46 inches wide. Wouldn't be with my little tractor

Not for a woman Oh horse POOP LOL! My ex is one of the top operators in the country. He was also one of the first to operate one underground for Bobcat when they first started. He taught me and I used one for years
default_wub.png
My daughter could operate (Not just run) but operate one well by the time she was 9 years old
default_wink.png
We had post hole augers and a backhoe attachment, fork lift, jack hammer and sweeper
default_wink.png
I love Bobcats
default_wub.png

Joy

I too use a skid steer almost daily around the farm and couldn't be without it. Once you get used to it you will love it.

Arlene

We have both and the tractor sits 90% of the time. The skid steer is so much faster & can turn on a dime - perfect for cleaning out loafing sheds, stalls I just drive down the barn and fill as I go. Great for removing snow, pulling fence, hauling brush, moving hay bales, & the bonus is I use it when I do landscaping as well!

Wouldn't be without, don't know what I did before we had it.

Plus I like using it so much that it frees my husband up from doing a lot of what I used to have him do.
default_thumbup.gif

We have both tractors and a skid steer. The skid steer has been in the shop for two years; no time and no funds for repairs, but its next on the list. Anyway, my husband said its pretty easy to operate and he'll show me how to run it, once its in running order. I can't wait, so I can start cleaning my corrals and getting it done the way I want. [He uses the tractor to clean my corrals, once a year; but can't get close to the fences with it and he tends to leave big piles of manure in bad places. So, I'm more than ready to learn to operate the skid steer and start cleaning my own corral.]

Thank you for your input ladies (and gentleman)! I'm going to go ahead and give the Bobcat a try some time next week (with supervision naturally). After reading your posts though, I feel pretty confident I can handle it. Let's just hope I don't take a barn down...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back