FAO Schwarz Catalog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt AMHR have a lead line class at nationals????

I have a gelding that is broke to ride. Granted he dont get road anymore due to a accident. But before then my nephews road him all the time. HE didnt care. He is only 31.5" tall.

No I do not find this acceptable, nor do I find that people who pay big bucks look after their horses- not under these circumstances when the horse is bought and paid for over the internet and is delivered and presumably left, on it's own , in a possibly unacceptable place, with people who do not know how to care for it and quite probably have no intentions of learning. How many puppies and kittens are chucked out as soon as they pee on the carpet or stop being cute??? The mini in that picture is too small for the saddle, it would just fit the little girl, NOW. Next week she may be too big- will Mama and Poppa stop her riding her expensive gift because she has had a growth spurt?? I don't think so!! I KNOW that when we sell we give up the right to interfere, which is why I do try to get the FIRST home absolutely right. At a guess these people are buying up or reserving horses that are what they say they are- saddle trained and quiet. They will NOT be paying $15,000.00 for them
smile.gif
That really is it. Are they matching the height to the weight of the child?? Do they take back the animal and rehome it when it is discarded?? Of course it was fine for Tony to ride that pony- you can see he fits it just fine and his parents were horses people who had raised a child who was not going to throw a hissy fit when they told him he was too big to ride it anymore. I've been through the same rigmarole. Child outgrew Miniature, child went on to 11.2 hh no argument. Child was not spoilt brat whose parents had spent $15,000.00 on an expensive toy for her!! I'm sure there are caring, loving people out there who are rich and will spend a lot (maybe not that much!!) on a Pony for their child- they will go to a reputable Farm and purchase one that comes with a buy back or rehome policy, not a catalogue. Bad, bad idea.

No problem with Minis being ridden - BUT we have seen the ads of them being abused by being ridden, do we really want to give the uneducated Public the idea that they can all be ridden??

Last edited by a moderator:
There is ALWAYS going to be the potential for abuse....not matter who we sell our horses to. Unfortunately, once they are sold....we lose control over what happens to them.
sad.gif

If you remember....the ad in the catalog mentioned that the price included someone to HELP the new owners in how to properly care for their new Mini. I find that commendable.
yes.gif

Had to ponder the merits of this one overnight and still have to go with my gut reaction that I don't think this will be the boon to the mini industry that some imagine. I think the thing that bothers me most is that a mini is essentially being advertised like any other toy, albeit a very expensive one. Kids are kids, rich or poor, and tend to lose interest in their toys pretty rapidly. The idea of an animal that can be ordered out of a catalog is as repugnant to me as the Christmas puppy. However, at $15,000, I doubt they will be flying off the shelves but I'm sure it won't have much impact on those (buyers or sellers) who consider animals just objects anyway.

My thots.............

1.) Abuse can come from any income level. So can love & caring. Some very rich forget their pets as soon as they no longer please them. Some would spend their last penny to feed & protect them. The same goes for the very poor. And everyone in between. Same sentiments, same sides of the fence. Animals Cops TV show testifies to all.

2.) In the ad, I see a beautiful example of a miniature accompanied by a sweet-looking little girl. It uses all the "hot buttons" used in advertising to get you to want what is being sold. Advertisers hope it happens in EVERY item that is advertised. They pay big bucks to make sure. No matter if it's security systems or Hallmark cards. The idea of an ad is to get you to want whatever it is. That ad works.

3.) Perhaps it would, as is already suggested here, prompt people to go to their local mini breeder to learn something about them. Maybe just plant the seed that maybe someday................... Most folks in my area will never see an FAO Schwartz catalog. But they might hear about the beautifil mini from someone who has. And $15,000??? Not here, but they could be pleasantly surprised by the prices here compared to that.

4.) And it is a beautiful correct mini -- not a dwarf.

5.) Yes, the ad promotes riding & children. But, hey, I'm an ADULT and I want that little horse. Doesn't it make YOU want one? That's the idea. Nothing says it would only go to a family with children waiting to ride. The possibilities are there, but it could well be someone else who just wants it to love.

6.) I'm ok with riding minis -- but it's got to be the ones who are heavier built and definitely not the tinys. And the kids need to come off when they outgrow them. I've discouraged folks who want a mini for their kids to ride because we usually only sell foals & by the time it would be old enough to ride, the family's kids would be too big for it. I guide them elsewhere.

7.) Summation: I don't have a problem with the ad. That's JMHO.

Well, in one way I can see why the whole "catalog" thing bothers some, but really, it isn't a whole lot different than selling over the internet. I mean, I can try my best to be sure the horse is getting a great home, but there is no way I can drive to Canada to see if the home is really all that it was represented as. So far, all my horses but one have gotten excellent homes and the one that didn't was a very local sale. We had bought a pony the people lied to us about. They said he was only mildly foundered and he was very foundered. The feet looked ok, but he couldn't eat a thing we had here as our pasture and hay were both too rich and since we raise our own hay, it didn't make sense to buy it. We listed him and stated he would have to be dry lotted, the new owner said his niece was wanting a driving pony (we sold him with cart) and had a nice size dry lot. Oh the girl was going to be so happy, blah, blah blah. I won't even discuss the rest of the story. That all happened local. The person I bought from was two towns south of me and they lied to me about the pony's condition, the new buyer was three towns west of me and he lied about what he would do with the pony.

So just because the sale is local doesn't mean it will be magically great. I believed both of these people and yes, I do check out new homes a bit more carefully now and I have always tried to keep in touch, but rather than slam the catalog, maybe we could just suggest to them that they give some instruction on good choices for the animal if it is out grown or no longer being enjoyed. If the catalog would be willing to include info about Lil Beginnings then the new owners would know of some available options when the "fun" is over for them. I personally think that handled the right way, this could be a unique advertisement for all of us especially since the catalog claims to have someone who advises the new owners. Too bad kids don't come with one of those
biggrin.gif

wholly cow, this is ridiculous. I will not stand for someone telling me what is and what is not appropriate for my horses. It's like children. I am a good parent, and I do not need anyone else to tell me that I am. HA! If someone pays $15,000 for an animal, for sure they are going to take care of it. Or pay someone to. Get over it!!!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the ad. Come on, you have no guarantee when you sell a horse no matter how much research you might do. Might be the absolute best home, but doesn't mean he'll stay there. With any horse, you need to look at the weight/size of the rider whether it's a mini or another size horse. WE have a child at our local saddle club who rides a 36 inch mini in barrels, poles, buckaroo, and halter. The little girl is small (Ibelieve she is 5 years old). I think it could be a market for some of the older stocky style minis (if again, the child is the right size) My question is, though how do you saddle break one so small? I have a grand child due this month and my plan is to do leadline with one of my mares in the future. Would you use a mini saddle or a 12" pony saddle?

Dandy said:
Would you use a mini saddle or a 12" pony saddle?
463111[/snapback]

I think a pony saddle would be much too big unless you had a good sized B mini. My saddle is an 8" and fits my 32" minis just right, but it's hard to find a little kid who fits it. My 5 year old neighbor is not a big child for his age but he is almost too large for the saddle now. I think he will definately be too big by next show season
sad.gif

When I saw this ad I was not concerned about the little girl riding her BUT more about the contents of the ad.

I don't think any 'horse person' goes looking in a catalog like this to find a mini for their child.

This catalog, is appealing to affluent city type people with little knowledge of animals other than perhaps a house dog. Although the picture is very appealing I would worry about the horse being considered a toy.

I have first hand experience with this, I live in a fairly affluent town and many people want to "get one" of my little minis for their darlings! BUT they have no idea about how to take care of it!

Last year a lady who had called me over a dozen times about my little colt and she sounded like a great home, nice barn etc, lovely lady, nice kids etc!

When she came out to see him, I let him out in the field to run, she said "oh, they like to run??" Then I asked her if she would like to walk him, she said "Oh no, I don't think so!" She called me that night and said she felt foolish but she had not realised it was really a horse she had considered it to be more like a "toy" or a "Lawn ornament", she said she did not think they could handle him! He was a 5 month old 29" colt, gentle and sweet!!

So that would be my concern, if it were my horse, that non horsey people like how it looks but really have no idea that it is not "lawn ornament" and really does need to be cared for.

I just hate to see live animals sold as novelties, it does not normally end up well for the horse. IMO an animal that can live for 30 years should not be advertised as a fun novelty. Can you make money doing it, You betcha!!!
biggrin.gif

I keep hearing novelties and do understand but lets be honest.. this breed was started and grew due to the novelty are "rarity" of miniature horses

Honestly, do you even think anybody is gonna buy one from there???? I highly doubt it.

a mini is essentially being advertised like any other toy
I think that's the part that bothers me...

Trust me, I am all for publicity and promoting the miniature breed. And, I would be thrilled if I could sell one of my horses for $15,000!

I just do not think that a toy catalog is the proper forum for promoting a horse.

I only see one thing glaringly wrong with the ad - and maybe it can be corrected for next year.

For $15K, I'd want to see the mini with show harness and a nice easy entry or meadowbrook-style cart, exhibiting how it could be fun for the whole family!

Some very interesting statements made here in regards to whether an ad in a catalog will benefit the mini horse industry or not. Being one to look at both sides of the coin, I really can't see it being a plus for marketing minis to the average buyer. The average person just won't pay $15,000.00 for a mini for their child and if they think that it is going to cost them that much they may just say...that is ridiculous and never even consider a miniature horse even at a later date. Personally, I would rather see better ways of advertising minis than in a catolog. if they have to be advertised. What that ad could do is get even more people interested in breeding, with only seeing what big bucks they could make from them......well this road has already been traveled as we can see.
sad.gif
But, as has been stated enough times this week, everyone should be allowed to do what they want.
wink.gif
Mary

Ashley said:
Honestly, do you even think anybody is gonna buy one from there????  I highly doubt it.
463145[/snapback]

Oh Yes I do..That store is very exclusive for very expensive items for Both adult and children but mostly the children of rich parents.. And I mean Rich and famous here...Why else would that Store,, FAO Schwarz have in Stock, a One Million Dollar Monopoly Set~! They Must be selling them to somebody??? So what is a $15,000 mini? Chicken feed to some of those kind of people
new_shocked.gif
Pocket change at that~!

aktion033.gif
I'm with Tony on this. Nothing wrong as far as I can see. Thye send a por to tell them how to care for it..WOW! Isn't that waht we all keep saying??? They should come with instuctions?
laugh.gif

But really i do not see what the big deal is....

Tony is absolutely right! This is great! Every little kid who sees the catalogue will want one - get your pictures ready guys!

What a GREAT marketing approach.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

With having children of appropriate size to ride this miniature, this should not pose any problem at all. I could see there being a marketeer purchasing one for part of their sales presentations and letting the tiny tots sit on the miniature. Again, if the size is appropriate.

This is a great lead in for getting visibility to the miniature market itself also.

If an individual does buy one, once their child grows too large to ride this horse, they have a wonderful pet and all the tack for walking him in parades or other festivals. Not to mention that as the child grows beyond the tiny tot size, it will be time to get him/her a larger pony and so on.....

I like it.
yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif

Tommy

Latest posts

Back