eye color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Horse Acres

Reaction score
My little guy was born March 31 and he still has the pretiest gray / blue eyes. It has been a while since I was around babies. At what age do we know that their eye color is set?

He sounds like a colt I know that was born on April 3. He has a steely gray blue eye color and have been that way since he was born. I was told that their eye color is usually set around 3-4 weeks old or so but the colt I know is now 6 going on 7 weeks old. Very curious to other replies.
default_wink.png

That is what I thought. Now I am wondering if I should be worried about him. I have only been with Pinto's for a couple of years. All solid quarter horses or morgans before. Their eyes were either blue (piebald) or brown unless they were blind. This guy seems to see alright so is this a color for pinto's that I am just not familiar with?

I am not completely sure on that but the pintos can have some interesting eye colors. The colt I know has absolutely no problem with his vision though. Hopefully someone can give some info on the subject.

Here is some funky color genetics I can try to tell you about. The colt I was talking about, Hellboy, is a solid sorrel with absolutely no white that we can see. His yearling sister is a sorrel and has white "birdcatcher" spots on her rump that magically appeared after clipping when she was about 5-6 months old and have been increasing ever since. She has brown eyes but She came to the stable when she was 2 month old so we do not know what her eyes looked like up close. I do have day old pictures of her and her eyes look dark brown. We have been trying to figure out what color and/or what their dna color is. The sire and dam are the same for both. The dam is a solid bay and the sire is a sorrel overo with blue eyes. The sire's sire is Sundance LB Brightly Attired, a loud black and white overo. I talked to their old owner and she thought that Hellboy might have the blueish eyes from his sire.

There is some food for thought. At this point we are quite confused with colors and genetics as I am sure you are, too.

Latest posts

Back