Eye color, some change, some don't???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Just curious........My buckskin filly, 2 days old, has blue eyes. Her dam had blue eyes at birth too, was registered as a blue eyed filly but they are now brown. The dams eyes are not the typical dark brown eyes though but they definately are no longer blue.

I am sure her filly will do likewise but I am just curious. They do have a lot of pinto in their background.

If they are still blue when I register her what color would you put, the color they are or the color you expect them to be when she is grown??

This is a good question, I don't know the answer but will watch for responses. My smokey black filly has the most unusual blue eyes but I'm sure they'll change too, right now they're beautiful.

I don't know the answer. My silver chestnut gelding, Skipper, was born w/ Navy blue eyes which changed to brown. DunIT was also born with blue eyes and they are so inky black now!

I think a lot of animals (even some people?) are born w/ blue eyes, and they change to brown.

As a "general rule".....foals born with LIGHT blue eyes will keep them. It's the medium to dark blue eyes, or gray-blue eyes that usually darken to brown, hazel or amber.

I am going to try and take a pic so you can see them....tell me what you think
default_wink.png
:

Are they more likely to keep them if a parent has blue eyes also??

I know really light blue eyes on dilutes(Cremello/Perlino) will stay.............. but I also have a buckskin colt with the medium blue eyes, his dam has blue eyes, and she is a Chestnut tovero, I was hoping he would keep them.

I was wondering the same thing.I have 3 foals with blue eyes. One will most likely keep them. But the other 2 I do not know. I think the buckskins will most likely turn amber like his sire.

How long does it take them to change?

Latest posts

Back