Experience needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboygirl45

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try to make this quick. I have a mini mare who is registered "show pony" because she's so tall. Any how, I had her bred last year in May; the 1st, 3rd, and twice on the 5th. When I took her back in July she didn't seem to come back into season and wouldn't show to the stallion. I didn't want to have her palpated because they are so small, I was afraid it would hurt her. Any way, she should be due around the 12th of April. However, she doesn't look all that pregnant and her bag isn't "full". I'm not even sure it looks like it's filling.

Has anyone else had a mare who was pregnant not look pregnant? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! This would only be my second foal, the first being a Quarter Horse babe, and I'm pretty nervous!

My mares that would be due in mid April may not be bagging up either. As to the size, it is always so hard to tell in winter with those fur coats they wear.

Some mares are very long too and that can hide a foal, especially a maiden mare.

If you have a good veterinarian they should be able to do an external ultrasound and let you know either way if she is pregnant or not.

It really is so much better to know for sure.

Mine also have no udder, to say, and I have a mare that hides her pregnancy.

Have been told no she is not pregnant and had a foal, this is a pic of her 1 week after foaling.

She gets her udder after foaling.

Windycolor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - had this EXACT thing happen to me yesterday! A mare I bought foaled a gorgeous buckskin colt, and 2 days ago I had pretty much decided she wasn't in foal!

An external US is a good test.

Mine also have no udder, to say, and I have a mare that hides her pregnancy.Have been told no she is not pregnant and had a foal, this is a pic of her 1 week after foaling.

She gets her udder after foaling.

Windycolor.jpg

This little mare looks to be the same type of build as my mare. She's tall (for a mini) and long in the body. She's plump, but just doesn't have that prego bulge going on. I guess I'll have to haul her in and see if my vet can do an external ultrasound. Oh, I hope she is!!! I've just been keeping my hopes under control, so I don't get them let down if she isn't.

THANK YOU GUYS for your input! I reallly appreciate it!

As others have already said, these mares can bag up pretty much all at once....so don't think just because she hasn't bagged up yet, she's not in foal. I have 3 mares right now, who are all due within 2 - 5 weeks, and only one has started to bag at all, and it just started a couple days ago.

Also, if your mare is so tall she is classified Show Pony....she is plenty big to palpate.
default_wink.png

With her being that far along you might try feeling for foal movement if you haven't already. I have a mare due March 27th and she hasn't started to bag much yet, but then she didn't with her last foal either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also thinking you should be able to see and feel the foal moving, if there's one in there. Ours used to put on quite a show in womb! Place your hand on the belly and spend some quiet time with your girl and see if the baby says hello. While she's eating is the best time.

Latest posts

Back