"Exotic Pig Pony"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I honestly can't tell if it's a joke, a serious attempt to find a loving home or what, but I saw an ad titled "Exotic Hybrid Pig Pony" for sale in TN. Says he's AMHA registered and gives the registered name. They kind of seem like they are trying to find a home where he doesn't end up at another auction, but at the same time calling him "exotic" and "hybrid" and a "pig pony" seems like you're just asking for someone who wants to exploit the animal. The mini does look different than any I've seen, but I would just consider it horrid conformation and maybe some dwarfism thrown in. Thoughts?

Is the term "pig pony" a common one that I've just not heard of?

I found the ad on-line, and saw his photo, etc. It sounds like they bought him at an 'exotic' sale, and are trying to find him a new home, as they are retiring from the minis. BUT, they realize that he has some dwarf characteristics and don't want him going to someone who is planning anything other than a 'pet' home for him. They are very clear about the type of home they want for him.

I think the'pig' part is because as they say, "He's just natruely a chunkie monkey little guy that just waddles around the farm." and "...when he wants something, he snorts like a little piggy and that's pretty cute. With Mr Winkey around, it's like having a live cartoon all day long here." I think they are just having some fun with the wording in the advertisement, both 'exotic' (from the sale he was in)and "pig" (from his shape and the snorting noises).

He looks like a 'cute' guy (who still needs to lose some weight) who is living with some people who care...

I saw the title and tought it was a joke but after reading they must be selling a dwarf mini. Probably has bad breathing and snorts like a pig or something. Just my guess.

Well, I hope they are serious about finding a real pet home. I sure wish they had gone about advertising him differently as I think it makes it seem like he's a novelty when in fact he's just another poorly conformed, probably dwarf gene carrying mini. And asking $1200 doesn't sound like trying to place him somewhere that is in his best interest, it sounds like someone wanting $ because they feel his uniqueness will bring it.

I hope he ends up in the right hands. I do applaud the folks for gelding him, worming him, etc.

I googled him as titled. It looks like they just "LET" him eat what ever he wants. Some people do think it is funny when these little guys make "pigs" out of themselves. He is most deffinately a dwarf. He could lose 1/2 his weight to get to the proper weight. He is cute but way, way too fat.

I seen this ad yesterday... I don't care for the tittle at all but I do think that the seller is trying to find the gelding a good home. She states that he is a rescued dwarf that she gelded. I wish more dwarf owners were as picky about the home their dwarfs (or special needs) horses go to. I was impressed with the ad personally.

I think he is absolutely adorable and if I had the funds I would snap him up in a heart beat so his fat little self could just hang out and have a happy life

ML he could bring his fat little self down here as well
default_laugh.png

There are several ads online for him on different sites. There are pictures on some of them. I just did a search for Exotic Hybrid Pig Pony and found them. I will also say that I could not find him in the AMHA studbook at all, not that prefix in any form or fashion, but they also have a couple of others minis standing at stud that are not transferred into their name either (I know who the prefix is and its not this farm). So if he is AMHA all he has is an application not actual papers. To me he just looks like a draft type mini that is fat, he is short legged and short necked but I think alot of it is he is just fat. He is also 11 year old according to the ad. But he does have a cute face.

I think he is a cute as a button -- fat, fat, fat, but he is a little doll.
default_yes.gif

But has anyone heard of this term "pig pony" before? I was wondering by the way it was worded if it was a real term that others have used. It was a first for me. Although, like ML, I think I have a couple that might fit the term!
laugh.gif

And if they are really trying to find the right kind of home and not have him be part of a freak show, they really need to give some thought to the wording of their ad and the price. Just my opinion.

Never heard of the term,but, wow, can you say check thyroid?

OMG Carolyn! I was thinking the exact same thing! Poor little guys really needs to lose some weight and make sure they understand what is really going on in his body...I just can't imagine that's all just overeating, but maybe it is. Either way it's sad. They talk about his snoring and about how he "sits" down. Sure sounds like common dwarfism traits and all that extra weight sure isn't helping.
no.gif

OMG Carolyn! I was thinking the exact same thing! Poor little guys really needs to lose some weight and make sure they understand what is really going on in his body...I just can't imagine that's all just overeating, but maybe it is. Either way it's sad. They talk about his snoring and about how he "sits" down. Sure sounds like common dwarfism traits and all that extra weight sure isn't helping.
no.gif
It said she did check his thyroid...

It said she did check his thyroid...
That poor horse is awful - but there are a lot of "awful" horses out there - let's face it. At least he is gelded and the people are trying really hard to find a good home for him - so I give them credit for that. They have his colour listed incorrectly - he definitely isn't a blue roan - but who really cares???!!!!

We should support someone for caring - not be so critical - IMO. The original breeder of this horse - and the folks that owned him in the past are in the wrong - not this caring person. This horse deserves a forever home - like all of the other pet quality horses that have flooded the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
That poor horse is awful - but there are a lot of "awful" horses out there - let's face it. At least he is gelded and the people are trying really hard to find a good home for him - so I give them credit for that. They have his colour listed incorrectly - he definitely isn't a blue roan - but who really cares???!!!!

We should support someone for caring - not be so critical - IMO. The original breeder of this horse - and the folks that owned him in the past are in the wrong - not this caring person. This horse deserves a forever home - like all of the other pet quality horses that have flooded the market.
Yes you are right, so hopefully,until he is placed, he will get an exercise and feed regimine that works in his favor. I did go back to read through the entire listing. Its great that he is in competant hands now,but Unfortunately just the title itslf would be a turnoff for many responsable, desirable homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This person did all the right things..I do not think this horse is awful I think he is adorable he has some dwarf characteristics but heck so do many horses I see posted online and on web sites

He is fat and he is drafty type doesnt make him awful I would take him in a heart beat and I am glad that this person took him in - gelded him and is trying to do the right thing by him

OMG, he is a chunk and a half, but pretty darn cute anyway. According to the ad, he's only 28" tall ( it says 7H)

Latest posts

Back