Exercise for the young Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeosPocoDan

Reaction score
I have a mini 4 month old filly that lives in a pen by herself right now, and I don't think she is getting enough exercise.

I let her out with my two full sized geldings (QH and Paint) for about a half hour twice a week and they will play alittle bit.

What should I do with her?

I wouldn't let her out with the full size horses if she were mine. I've just seen and heard about too many accidents where the big horse never meant to hurt the mini.

When it comes to one that young, I have not ever round pen lunged one and probably wouldn't but maybe would put her in the round pen (if it were big enough) and chase her, let her chase me, some kind of a game.

The real "perfect" solution if you can do it is to give her a weanling mini playmate
default_biggrin.png
Right now, I have a colt and a filly weanling in a pen together, and they play often and hard!

One kick and that would be the end of your little friend
default_no.gif

The big horses might even think they are just playing, but what is playing for them could be powerful and dangerous to a mini filly.

I have a mini 4 month old filly that lives in a pen by herself right now, and I don't think she is getting enough exercise.

I let her out with my two full sized geldings (QH and Paint) for about a half hour twice a week and they will play alittle bit.

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way I'd be turning any mini out with a big horse EVER and a baby foal at that. Oh my goodness.
default_nono.gif

How large is her pen and shelter? If it's too small, build her a larger area all of her own so she can easily have plenty of room 24-7.

I don't exercise babies at all. They dont' need it. They do plenty of running on their own.

IF she is not running and bucking and kicking up her heels, then something is wrong with her and she should be seen by your vet. She could be wormy, have ulcers, or not getting proper diet. Talk to the vet and see what he thinks about your overall program.

I understand how you feel about them not getting enough exercize. When I brought Midas home there was another mini there, but he was about 10 and really had no interest in playing with Midas. I worried because Midas wasnt getting as much exercize and I like (He wasnt turned out outside, just in the indoor arena, I know, not ideal, but its what Is available and safe) I started taking him for walks with me like you would walk a dog. It helps reinforce their leading manners, and sneaks some exercize in there. I wouldnt go far though, as she is just a baby.

Midas is going on two, and we still take walks together

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way I'd be turning any mini out with a big horse EVER and a baby foal at that. Oh my goodness.
default_nono.gif
I have/do run my mini's with my big horses, but my biggest horse is 15.1hh... the mini's i put out with the big neddies are older mini's, not weanlings, actually i do have a yearling, 3 2yos & a 15yo mini's out with a 2yo Arab Pony filly (approx 13.2hh) ATM.

But all get along perfectly fine.

As for exercising young mini's, i dont lunge.... but free time out with company or walking in hand is great.
default_saludando.gif

No work at all- not any way, not AT ALL for such a very young animal- what age was she weaned at???

Give her a bigger paddock to play in and, if at all possible, a playmate of her own size and sex (or a gelding) but PLEASE do not ever turn her out with your big horses again, they will kill her.

It has nothing to do with temperament, I have even heard people joke that their Minis is in charge and bosses big horses a round- this can happen, it will be fine right up to the moment that one of the horses takes exception and kicks out- in fun, in play, at a fly, whatever.

End result, dead Mini.

You will have to make arrangements to give her more freedom, but not with the big horses and NOT any sort of enforced exercise.

The information others have given is good, but a little abrasive.

I agree that putting minis out with the larger breeds can be dangerous for all the reasons given. But if you are comfortable with it and you are willing to take the chance of something adverse happening, then that is your call. I know several people that allow thier minis out with thier larger counterparts and they get along well. Yes it is possible for the larger horse to injure and possibly kill a mini.

It can be just as dangerous to put a young foal out with other herdmates, that are not its mother. I had a filly that was kicked by another mini and it broke her lower jaw. We were able to wire it and it came out fine, but it taught me that horses will be horses and that injury can happen in all situations. Yes, it is a bigger risk with the full size horses, but again this is your ultimate call. Just make the decision based on your comfort zone and always take into consideration the welfare of you horse.

As far as exercising your weanling. Natural exercise is the best.... remember in the colder months your horses will become more sedate, conserving energy. Yes, there again could be underlying issues, such as illness, worming issues, nutrition issues etc, but all of mine are in excellent health and they just tend to be more quiet during the winter months. If your filly stands with her head down and looks dull and listless, off feed, then there could be illness issues, ulcer, depression. If she is active and moving around her pen with her head up and she is alert when you are out there and eager to eat and greet, then she is probably just fine. She is much better out in a larger pen with a shelter than inside in a stall.

I am sure you are doing the best with her, and if you have any questions, have someone that has experience in minis come look at her. Or if it is a possible health issue have your vet take a look at her and at your feed program.

First of all, I don't just leave her out there. I go out there with a lung whip and supervise. If I tell one of my geldings to stop, they stop. My biggest gelding acts like her mother also, won't let my paint near her, and he won't let her walk more than 5ft away from him.

She is currently in a 50ft round pen, that is all grass, with a shelter. She does run around some, when the big guys run around the outside. She is perfectly healthy, she saw the vet less than two weeks ago. I have owned horses long enough to know when one is ill.

Then I would leave her exactly as she is- you do not have a problem, it would seem??

I would, under NO circumstances, allow integration between a large horse and a Mini- being there and watching, the animal could have a broken leg or even neck before you could stop them, it happens in a second.

I know this from personal experience.

But, as said, if you are willing to take the chance and can cope with that sort of thing happening, carry on exactly as you are.

Latest posts

Back