excercises to get them in shape

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandi

Reaction score
I was just wondering what others do to get their minis in shape. Mine has gained a few extra pounds in the midsection over the winter that I would like to trim off. She doesnt know how to drive yet so that option is out unfortunately. I have been lunging her over cavaletti's and was thinking about ponying her off of my other horse when I trail ride, but wasn't sure if people really did this with a mini or not. Any suggestions on how to trim up the belly would be great. I'd like to put her in an open halter class by the middle of june if possible. Not sure if that will be enough time to get her slimmed down or not. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A general exercise program should help tone all over, including the belly. Personally, I don't believe in "targeting" specific areas while conditioning, except perhaps neck sweats.

Andrea

With a Balanced Feeding program, a heavy endurance exercise should do the trick, If you're feeding grain make sure it doesn't have a lot of sugar and starch I feed the Purina Equine products and ever since with that alone they come out of winter more tone. Then you should do a lot of pen work, I would work your way up to 20min and adjust if necessary. I do a lot of other exercises but pen work should help you. And a belly also comes from feeding too much hay and not enough grain, but that's a whole other matter.

~Jessica

I have heard a lot of work at a good trot will firm and tone the belly- and over all condition, but works well on the belly.

mine has a thyroid problem and has a belly from that and the fact that she likes to eat. What I do after the winter is cut the bottom out of a trash bag, have her put her back feet in and pull it up over her belly and then I use the belly sweat I got from Ozark wrapped around the plastic bag. I then work her in the round pen starting at 7 minutes working up to 10 each direction every day. Takes the belly down in two weeks (old Quarterhorse trick for getting a good underline). Working at a good trot works better than a canter for bellies I have found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back