Ever regret selling a horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie P

Reaction score
Was sitting here the other day thinking about three horses that I have sold in the past that I SO regret selling.

I would buy any one of these mares back in a heartbeat!

First: Bear Branch Painted Pawnee - oh how we miss her.

Second: Bear Branch Painted Dakota - Luckily she lives with a good friend of mine and I get to see her once in awhile. She was here visiting Izon last summer so that was fun! Miss her!

Third - Flying A Royal Fashion - Gorgeous mare!

So - do any of you have any regrets?

Last edited by a moderator:
i seriously regret selling an old riding horse i had, but i think it was in his best interest. he loved being ridden and i lost my nerve for riding thanks to my cousin!! so i sold him to a nice lady that my mom knew from working with her husband. she needed a new riding horse so she and her daughter could go riding together and Pete(the horse) was perfect for that. i miss him dearly though
default_sad.png

hmm, can't say that I 'regret' selling any, as I've been lucky enough for mine to go to great homes, but I will say that when I sold my buckskin filly Savannah, my first ever bred and raised foal, as a weanling I always had this empty feeling in my heart. I didn't regret selling her, she had a FABULOUS home where she was more than spoiled, but always had that feeling she belonged here, especially after I lost her dam to colic.. Luckily a couple falls ago she came back home.. The family that bought her from us could no longer keep the horses due to family issues (driving back and forth from Ohio to Pennsylvania, had a hard time finding someone to care/look after the horses while they were gone, and decided it wasn't fair to the horses) offered her back to me, and she came home
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Yes, I have and I've bought them back.
default_yes.gif

Still a couple more mares out there I'd like to have back........

Gosh yes. I regret deeply having sold a my riding mare. She needed exercise daily as she just loved going out and when I fell pregnant the Dr said NO riding. My son is now 3 and I would love to be able to jump on her a go out.

Yes - I sold an AMHR mare D.M. Target's Tillie and have wanted her back ever since - she was offered back to me at a time when I was unable to purchase her back (financially not feasible)and I have no idea where she is now.. I would love to have her back if the chance came up though.. Still wish I could have worked it out when she was offered back to me...

But since then I have learned that if I have that "gut feeling" about selling a horse I just don't sell it. Hopefully I will remain financially able to never have to part with those horses as I know sometimes *life* happens and things change...

No. I do think of all the horses I've owned, but I've never regretted selling one. To be honest, I've never even missed one once he/she is gone with one exception. I loaned a gedling to a really good friend and never doubted he was in great hands, but I did MISS him. He's just very special AND he's coming back home here next month
default_wub.png

All three horses have great homes, but I just really miss them.
default_sad.png

Luckily I have had the opportunity to purchase several horses back that I sold during a dispersal that happened during some tough family times several years ago, so for that I am very grateful.
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png

Yes, when I dispersed my herd back in '04...I didn't want to sell any of those horses, but had to for financial reasons. Of the ones I know, 3 of them are now deceased.
default_sad.png
I do not know what ever became of the others as they were sold again after that and a few are even still in my name...

I think the one I miss the most is "LB" (yes, that was his barn name) who was my very 1st Mini. But, I try not to dwell on that...and move forward with new horses that I love.
default_wub.png

I sold one of my QH mares last year after breeding her to my stallion. Months after months she remained looking the same and I figured she wasn't pregnant. A really good friend of mine bought her. The whole time I kept asking him if she was looking pregnant and he said no. Well, about 2 months ago he called and told me to come look at Beauty because she looked pregnant. Of course, she DID end up pregnant, just didn't show it. Last Saturday she gave birth to a black colt with a small star on his forehead. Both mare and my stallion are black and him being homozygous black. The colt looks just like his sire except that his sire has a diamond shaped mark on his forehead. It was his first born foal. The minute I saw the colt I regreted sellling her. I did make it clear to my friend though that if he ever decided to sell the colt that I would get to buy him. And I do drive about 45 mins from my house every week to see the colt and mare. Now I am waiting for his second foal to be born anytime from now until beginning of April and it will be MINE.
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

I have never sold any but I need to cut back from 8 to probably 4. No doubt I would miss any single one of them. I haven't even tried to sell any. So much easier to procrastinate. Then when I buy hay I have to ask myself "what was I thinking?" I intend (key word intend) to keep my stallion, 2 proven broodmares, and my little special needs girl Sunny. Shhhhhhh! Don't tell the others. It would break their hearts. They all think they are mommie's favorite.
default_smile.png

Oh yeah....my entire herd! But seriously, there are about 6 Vegas offspring that I have tried to buy back over the years
default_wub.png
and the new owners refused to part with them...which is VERY reassuring!

There is a stallion l would buy back in a heartbeat only because of neglect or what l consider neglect anyway..last l learned from someone close to them he was out running on a field with a couple of other stallions left a bale of straw like hay all paw for whatever they can find under the snow get no water hauled to them because they have snow which is good enough have no shelter unless you call leafless poplars shelter up this way. Makes me sick knowing l did this to him..

There were only two horses (big or mini) that I did not regret selling. That was because those 2 were not real bright. ALL of the others I have sold I regret selling.

The only thing I've ever been able to rehome is a barn kitten. Starting to think parting with animals is not going to be on the list of things I can do anytime soon. But there were a few horses I got close to that I regret not begging their owners a little harder for.
default_laugh.png

I am really hopeless aren't I!

There is a stallion l would buy back in a heartbeat only because of neglect or what l consider neglect anyway..last l learned from someone close to them he was out running on a field with a couple of other stallions left a bale of straw like hay all paw for whatever they can find under the snow get no water hauled to them because they have snow which is good enough have no shelter unless you call leafless poplars shelter up this way. Makes me sick knowing l did this to him..

Awww Relic - that has to be so hard.
default_sad.png

Yes - my first two minis. I bought my first mini in my early 20's. Of course, a stallion. And then I bought a mare to go with him.
default_rolleyes.gif
Luckily God watches out for idiots like me and both of them had very successful show careers both at local shows and AMHR shows in halter and performance and I only bred them once. I trained both of them to drive and my stallion was so versatile - he loved to do everything!

But when I was 23 I realized that if my husband and I were going to focus on getting financially sound and buying a place of our own and starting a family I needed to part with my horses. I sold the mare and stallion together to a family in northern Ohio. I lost track of them, but found both of them again a few years ago. I googled my stallion's name and found out he and the mare are still together and were in Arizona! I'm glad they are/were still together for that long. At that time, my stallion was listed for sale, and I was looking for a mini, but the cost of transporting from Arizona was just too prohibitive.

I don't know that "regret" is the right word because everything has worked out just as it was meant to. But I would love to have the chance to have them both back because I just absolutely loved them both. They had the most awesome personalities and would work all day.
default_wub.png

I have been lucky enough this second venture into minis to fill my barn with boys that I just absolutely love! No girls this time around - I'm sticking to geldings. And these boys aren't going anywhere!

Barbara

Yes, but i didn't sell her, I gave her away. I Purchased a beautiful haflinger several years back. She had such an awesome disposition. I thought so long and hard before I had purchased another full size horse,I had missed the ones I grew into adulthood with (passed from old age) and decided to get her.

I had her for 6 months,We (new horse) went through two major bouts of colic/impactions, hospitalized both times. The second time, after 7 days of intense fluid/pain therapy, I just couldn't emotionally handle it and the bills were in the thousands (and thousands) each time. I didn't want to give up on her, but it was heart breaking. I told facility I would pay the bills until the next morning, if someone KNOWLEDGEABLE wanted to take a chance she deserved it (if they weren't horse people forget it), she was theirs, papers and all, if not I would have to put her down.

So the next day, my wedding anniversary, I signed her over.

The vets sister took her, and after a total of 11 days she passed the impaction. She researched as far as she could, and on behalf of the vet, with some prodding and poking, learned the issues went back to her original owner.

She asked me If I wanted her, and I did, but I am only as good as my word, and told her she was theirs to have. It broke my heart, but in this case, I felt like my will wasn't the will of the BIG GUY upstairs. Sometime we can do everything right and have it go so wrong. She was the MOST EXPENSIVE horse I ever had, when I actually sat down and looked at the bills, suppliments, added care, the total was higher than I even realized. I could have purchased my fantasy dream horse, a fresian or vanner gelding, my dear husband has never thrown any of this up at me, not even once. I know she is in excellant hands, but I can not bring myself to go see her, it is too heartbreaking.

Latest posts

Back