Estate planning ( Wills) and mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann knight

Reaction score
I was wondering what others do with making sure thier horses are taken care in the event of death ? I have my dogs looked after in my will but not everyone is as willing to look after horses ...even our adorable mini's
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks....Ann ( who is hoping this is just good planning and not going to be put into action
saludando.gif
)

I have asked my family members about taking care of mine. They say they will, but who can say for sure? I have put a signed transfer in with the registration papers of my horses, so at least their identities can go with them if worse comes to worst.

My sister has asked me to take her little stallion, so she knows he will have a home if she goes first.

I have asked my family members about taking care of mine. They say they will, but who can say for sure? I have put a signed transfer in with the registration papers of my horses, so at least their identities can go with them if worse comes to worst.

My sister has asked me to take her little stallion, so she knows he will have a home if she goes first.
My family is not interested in my horses,but I have several good friends(I've given them several show horses) in Minis and Shetlands so I have asked them to take my horses.I know they will be well cared for.My dogs will go to my friend who is a breeder(she is involved in Corgi Rescue)and I am sure she will re home them to someone nice.

This is a VERY good question for everyone, no matter your age. After all, there is no guarantee for tomorrow for anyone.

I have thought about this a long time, as no family would be able to, or want, to care for mine either. I have friends that could but dont know if they would want them, so thus the dilemma. Guess I should discuss it with them and make plans from there.

It's a tough question really.. do you opt to sell them and put that money into the estate or what?

I have done this already due to some reminding and some life circumstances..but it is always a good idea to not only think about and write out where you want them to go but make sure you have signed transfers ready as well. I hear that makes it alot easier for all involved

I have put a signed transfer in with the registration papers of my horses, so at least their identities can go with them if worse comes to worst.
Great idea. All my horses are registered in my name OR my wife's name so that either can sign the papers. I have no doubt that I will go before her under normal circumstances, but you never know. If I put a signed transfer in each file, my children will be able to disperse with papers in the event that we both go together in an accident.

I am sure papers could also be transfered with an official death certificate and going through court, but that would certainly be a lot of trouble. Much easier to just sign a transfer and put it in the file.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I have been involved with dog rescue for a number of years. I am sure folks have the best intensions , but often the animals are not taken care of the way the owner would have wanted. It took a loooooong
aktion033.gif
time to finally get my husband convinced to include our dogs in our Wills with a Guardian who will place the animals in suitable homes and of course is well compensated
yes.gif
.....Ann

Our horses are all registered "or" so either of us will be able to disperse in the event of one of us dying first. If we go together I guess it will just be a mess
default_sad.png

If I should die before I wake, please tell my family to look in my underwear drawer for directions.

It is sad but we never know how life will turn out.

I am hoping to be able to find good homes before I go. Sorry but do not want to worry about this yet.

I do not want to put someone who says yes now, than have not got any intentions of keeping them or some unfortunate circumstance changes their life. My only daughter who loves animals as much as I, has been honest to say Mom I am not interested in Minis.

Never know what will happen, I have changed my will so many many times.

So I have to rely on me to be able to live and enjoy my minis until, I decide it is too much for us, hope to find them good homes.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of other items.

If you have someone to leave the animals to also leave them the funds to take care of them.

Name the animals specifically in the will and give their disposition. The registries may not be able to act unless you can show specific ownership via a will.

If you don't declare a disposition the court that does it may not care where they go as much as you do.

default_smile.png

My will is made and "for richer or poorer" the horses are going to.............

But as far as a signed transfer, PEOPLE, take it from me who did my Dad's paperwork that turned into my Uncle's paperwork GET SOMEONE ELSE ON AT ANY ASSOCIATION. A signature card, on file will help ya DEAD or ALIVE! Contact your reg. for more info.

This topic came up last year and was the last push I needed to finally get our Wills done!
default_smile.png
I actually have a special clause in our wills for the minis. If I should die before my husband they go to him. If something happens to both of us they go to friends of ours that has agreed to take them. However....now I have to get it changed again because our friends are getting a divorce! It's never easy!

My husband and I own our horses with the "OR" on the papers.....So that's not a problem.
default_smile.png

However, if we BOTH pass, we have our daughter. If she is still under age, our nephew is to be her guardian and to be in charge of dispersing our herd to good homes.....with funds in trust to do it with.

Latest posts

Back