Carafate Q - Update on fillies with ulcers after Equine Affaire pg.3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all! I thought I knew a lot about ulcers from my experience with Max, but since that had such a bad outcome, I obviously have more to learn. Girls are still grazing, either loose in the backyard with poor grass, or hand grazed in front yard with nice grass. Other than not wanting grain - or even alfalfa cubes - they seem alert and happy. Have seen no signs of parking out (which Max did often) or rolling... About to give them more Zantac - 2 tabs each this time. They are so good that I can walk up to them - without halters - and just give them their meds. Probably helps that we alternate with putting on halters and taking them to graze! I also add a little Stomach Soother to the meds, which probably helps them accept it too.

Update 11/17 (Sat): Fillies are still grazing during the day and we put a small pen in the front yard so we don't need to hand graze. Yesterday they started showing interest in grain but still didn't want soaked alfalfa cubes. We started them back on just a tiny amount of grain, which they are nickering for and also eating hay overnight. Today we put their 1/2 brother Clyde out with them and they all ran and played. So they seem (fingers crossed) on the road to recovery and acting pretty normal. We plan to gradually increase their grain and tonight added alfalfa and beet pulp.

Thank you for all for your help! This has been really scary, between our previous bad experiences with Max & Ruby and the fact that I am still very sick. I plan to continue the Ulcergard, Carafate and Zantac for another 3 weeks. I have been in touch with my vet since Wednesday, although he has not been over to see the girls. He doesn't think the Zantac is necessary with the Unlcergard, but I did read on-line that Zantac (Raniridine) helps to HEAL ulcers, so I plan to keep it up. He was also worried that they might have picked up something, so I have been monitoring temps daily. Nothing above 101.7. We did have a scare on Thursday night when 2 other minis didn't dig right into their grain, but we figured out it was due to some really rich hay they got. Part of the selection offered to the "girls" and these two got a bit too and decided they liked it better than their grain!

Please keep fingers crossed that they continue to improve... One is Max's full sister of course, and reminds me of him all the time.

Latest posts

Back