Equine Market Experiment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorsegirl

Reaction score
I thought we could have a little fun and (for those of us still in training
biggrin.gif
) learn something along the way. I know the prices in the equine market vary greatly from place to place, but I wonder as to exactly how much it differs. So, I am going to give you guys the pertinent information on three of my horses, and you get to price them appropriately for your current market and perhaps give the target audience that would give them the best chance of selling in your area. I can't wait to see how diverse the answers get!

Horse 1:

3 year old, 33.75in AMHA registered gelding by Half Measures GM Too Hot To Gamble. Won the 3 year old Country Pleasure Driving class and was top five in Youth 13-18 Exhibiting a Senior Gelding at Western Championships last month. This is a kind, honest horse that would make an excellent youth, amateur, or CDE partner. Grandpas Gambling Man is the most notable horse in his bloodlines.

IMG_9405DDTooHotsSilkNV.jpg

IMG_9394DDTooHotsSilkNV.jpg

Horse 2:

5 year old, 33in AMHA/AMHR registered mare by Fallen Ash Scouts Spellbound. Inherited her father's huge single pleasure trot and passes it on to her foals. No show record. Has had two foals, including the following filly. Bloodlines include L&D Scout and Orion Light Vant Huttenest. She was aprox. 8 months pregnant in these pictures.

IMG_0800Melody_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0794Melody_edited-1.jpg

Horse 3:

Week old, 18-19in AMHA pending filly by Scott Creek Indi Go 500. Bloodlines include Sierra Dawn Uno's Monarch, Sierra Dawn Uno De Mayo, Fallen Ash Scouts Spellbound, L&D Scout, and Orion Light Vant Huttenest. Definite single pleasure prospect and should do very well in halter.

IMG_9489ITWSummerMelody6days.jpg

Thanks guys and have fun!

If I were in the market, that filly would REALLY get my attention, and I like the mare as well. The gelding wouldn't be something I'd be in the market for (though I adore geldings). Not sure how everyone else in my area would feel, but that's what struck me.

A big factor that would effect how quickly these horses would sell in any geographical area (I almost always have bought from further away) would be pricing. Some people won't part with money even when a good horse is worth it... So for sure, the price tag would be a huge factor.

The gelding didn't catch my eye as much physcially, and at 3yo, AMHA only, and .25" away from going over, I'd have reservations.

The mare is beautiful. Loving her neck and her head. Little tiny ears, nice hip, very proportional. Nice nice nice.

The filly... Man oh man, that is such a pretty baby you have
wub.gif
She looks to have it all
default_smile.png

I agree with Jill. The mare and her filly ...ooh lala, in this part of the world the mare would probably sell for anywhere from 2500 up to maybe 4000 depending on a bit of luck. Since she is a proven broodmare and clearly throws lovely babies she'd be in demand by breeders rather than as a show horse. Her filly could easily bring 1500 - 2500 and anything less would be a giveaway (they're probably both worth much more but the market is very depressed here) The gelding tho you would be hard pressed to get 1000 for in fact I can't think of the last time anyone I know sold a gelding for more than 500 - 600 dollars regardless of training and bloodlines. Unfortunately breeding stock sells and geldings are considered pets only. I'm hopeful that will change with more people getting interested in driving, there is nothing better for a driving horse than a good gelding. No hormones.
default_smile.png

If I were in the market, that filly would REALLY get my attention, and I like the mare as well. The gelding wouldn't be something I'd be in the market for (though I adore geldings). Not sure how everyone else in my area would feel, but that's what struck me.

A big factor that would effect how quickly these horses would sell in any geographical area (I almost always have bought from further away) would be pricing. Some people won't part with money even when a good horse is worth it... So for sure, the price tag would be a huge factor.

The gelding didn't catch my eye as much physcially, and at 3yo, AMHA only, and .25" away from going over, I'd have reservations.

The mare is beautiful. Loving her neck and her head. Little tiny ears, nice hip, very proportional. Nice nice nice.

The filly... Man oh man, that is such a pretty baby you have
wub.gif
She looks to have it all
smile.gif

I agree with everything you've said jill.....and I sure would love that filly!

I'd take your gelding in a heartbeat for $800 if he has a nice temperment and is quiet to drive. His height is desirable for those of us that want to get into CDE and trail driving and like a horse with a little more leg. What I like is a horse that the leg to body ratio is balanced... He looks cute and has a pretty head. I prefer geldings so my interest was in him.

On the other two, very cute... I know nothing about mares and fillies and what would sell, but do know those girls are very pretty and would most likely be out of my price range.
wub.gif

I defintelly like you filly and for sure be the high seller of all 3. She is young enough to go out and show and she is put together very nice. Another thing I like about getting a young horse is you can do all the training yourself.

Your mare with me would get the least attention. Now she would sell more then the gelding and considering she is A/R it helps alot but with no show record and no proven show babies I would have to pass. It would help also if she was trained to drive or do something besides just a broodmare.

Geldings I look at, especially trained geldings. He is colored very pretty. I would priced him more then the mare but unfortuantly we are in the world of minis and he's a gelding so he is going to be bottom priced. Due to the fact he is only A doesn't help. I don't care for him so much conformationally so I would only seek him for a performance prospect. But it looks like he has the potential to win in driving classes so I would price him maybe $1000.

But I really like that filly.

Latest posts

Back