Equine Insurance...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
I might start leasing a mini and insurance will be required.

What is the going rate for mortality insurance on a mini? Is there a company would you recommend?

Also if any of you have ever leased a horse please share both the benefits and disadvantages of leasing.

default_saludando.gif

Thank you!

I use johne dobbs, hillard agency, they charge 3 percent of price.they are super.I will PM you a good sales/lease contract you can use as a guide tomorrow.

GenCorp mortality includes some surgical with it.

I've also used Newton Baker and was happy with them.

GenCorp is an AMHA sponsor.

We pay about $200 for $3,500 worth of insurance.

I've leased several horses so I could show them while I was making payments on them and I've always insured them. It's great, IMO, when you can find a reputable breeder that is willing to let you have the horse even though you still owe money on it.
default_yes.gif
But to your question, the horse I leased this past show season (and just paid off!) I paid $195 annually for $6500 mortality plus $3000 surgical (annually). Basically, that's the 3% others have mentioned plus the surgical is included in the price.

Last year, I had three horses insured but this year will just be insuring two -- stud muffins Destiny and DunIT. I insure them through Gencorp and the rate for mortality is 2.9% and the rate for $7,500 of major medical coverage is an additional $250 per horse. It costs me just over $1,000 / year to cover Destiny ($10,000 mortality / $7,500 major medical) and DunIT ($7,500 mortality / $7,500 major medical).

Be careful not to buy only mortality w/o some medical because if the horse is very injured or sick and needs treatment that you cannot afford, the mortality will not pay if the horse dies as a result of not being treated. Also, be careful of only surgical coverage, which typically covers only surgery (not the hospitalization, meds, etc.).

I use GenCorp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question here, when getting mortality insurance along with medical, what is the technical difference between surgery and major medical. Will one cover small injuries as well as major issues like colic surgery or do you need both types of medical?

I have several of my horses insured for mortality and major medical. I use Connaway & Associates also. They are VERY helpful and responsive. I have used several different insurance companies over my lifetime of horses, and they have been the best by far. I checked into Gencorp when I was going to insure the show string last year, since they advertise that they have a package just for minis. They were not even close to being competitive with C&A. I wanted to use them because they sponsor so many mini activities. In the end, they would not allow me to insure my horses for their full value based on training in addition to purchase price, and their coverage level was not as good.

http://www.connaway-associates.com

StarRidgeAcres - What company did you use, and did the $3,000 cover any surgery or only colic?

I'll check into the companies ya'll listed.

I should be going this afternoon to see/choose the horse to lease!
default_biggrin.png

Wow, I just emailed Connaway insurance earlier. They already got back to me with a pretty good quote.

Had a few more questions for them, I am just waiting for a response.

StarRidgeAcres - What company did you use, and did the $3,000 cover any surgery or only colic?
I'll check into the companies ya'll listed.

I should be going this afternoon to see/choose the horse to lease!
default_biggrin.png
Hi,

I use Smith-Embry Insurance Associates. Their website is Smith-Embry

They have a variety of plans and the one I have covers any surgery including colic. They will insure the horse for its value plus training, etc. If the horse has national top ten wins or if you have people wanting to breed to your stud, you can increase the value accordingly.

Good luck with picking out your horse!

Latest posts

Back