Equine chiropracter - now I'm a believer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
For any of you who are, like I was, skeptical about chiropracters, both human and equine. . . well, I've just become a believer (at least in the equine kind).

I have a Saddlebred gelding who has been unable to trot this spring. I know it's not a training / behavior issue - he's not that kind of horse, he's a been there / done that, super willing to do it again type. So I finally bit the bullet and decided to have an equine vet/chiro come look at him, because I had so many horse friends recommend it. As long as she was coming out, I decided to have her look at my WCP driving under mare, who keeps "skipping" while driving, acting like she wants to break to a canter, but never actually breaking. I thought hers was a behavior problem, but figured it couldn't hurt to see if she was sore somewhere (thinking more of the vet side than the chiro side).

Ok, so flex test the Saddlebred, lame in both fetlocks, nothing really "out" for chiro (thinking arthritis, he's an old show campaigner) - not sure what we'll do with him, but he won't ever leave the farm, so if he never can show again, I don't care, he'll grow old here.

Then the driving mare. Chiro said she was "out" everywhere. . . both hips, ribs, neck, shoulder, and full spine. When the chiro pulled her tail back, it was like listening to a loud bowl of rice krispies, just snap, crackle, pop!

That was Thursday. Saturday hitched her up to drive through a parade - and she was a new horse! No more "skipping", trotting out, eager and willing again (like last year) and ears up and happy.

I guess I've again learned, don't knock it until you try it! : )

Just had my two to the chiro a couple of weeks ago. They were still in the trailer when I happened to see one of my vets. He wanted to know what I was up to, so I told him. He is NOT a believer. I showed him the exam forms for the horses, and he acknowledged one of the issues to be legitimate.
default_laugh.png

Mine did not have any dramatic turn-arounds, though they had some issues, but one of the other owners had a significant improvement in his horse.

We try to get several horses together so we can share the farm call.

I just became a believer too. My Daughter's horse was having problems. Her trainer said ther were problems but he did not know exzctly where. There was a chiropracter coming to the barn and she should have her looked at. Well the chiropracter pooped her neck vertabrae back into place and she is a different horse now. When she was asked to canter she had a very short stride as usual. suddenly you could see her say "This does not hurt now" and lengthened her stride.She is a Happy Horse now. The next time he comes to the barn I am going to have him look at Lance. I do not think there is anything wrong with him but I will know for sure.

Me too! I had a chiro out for Skippy when she turned into a biting, kicking, unhappy little monster. Even before that started, she was just slow, lazy, and not willing to move out when I drove her- I just assumed she was a little lazy. Turns out, she was all out of place in her back, and after 2 sessions she was back to her happy self, and is a totally new driving horse now
default_smile.png
I didn't anticipate having such dramatic changes from chiro work, but it really helped Skip. The chiropractor also gave me some stretching exercises to do with her on a weekly basis, to help keep her feeling good between visits.

I also had him take a look at Kandy, "just in case," even though I didn't think there was anything wrong with her. I hadn't realized how stiff she was until after she had her chiro session- she is moving much more freely now. He gave me some great exercises to do with her, to help out her weak topline muscles, and gave me some excellent conditioning advice specific to her conformation and chiro issues he found. Overall, I felt like having the chiro out was a very good investment
default_smile.png

I actually first used a chiropractor on my big horses back in the early 80's- and what a HUGE difference on two that really needed adjustments! I personally go every month now and cannot tell you how it has helped me. I saw my xrays, and was shocked with what I saw going on with my spine when I started going last year. I had to have extensive therapy at first and slowly spaced it out to once a month... well that's a whole 'nuther book, but YES, they truly do help a LOT. I wouldnt recommend going to just anyone, like any other professional, make sure they have a good reputation first.

I too was an unbeliever until I had a physical therapist work on my spine and correct a pain I was having in my feet and hip.

Since then I've had my horses worked on at least 6 times. 2 x for the 9 years old and 4 x for my 7 yr old mare but when she works, she WORKS (gives me 110% most of the time).

I'm a believer too, some of the time. Here's the thing: I have had incredible results back in the early 80's when it was really unheard of for an equine chiro. However, (1) I don't think it works 100% of the time and (2) I think the skill of the chiro has to be impecable and a person at the top of their game or they could do some serious damage just like a human one can. You have to have a really great one to perform the adjustments. In the grande scheme of things I do think there is absolutely a place for this.

I'm a believer too, some of the time. Here's the thing: I have had incredible results back in the early 80's when it was really unheard of for an equine chiro. However, (1) I don't think it works 100% of the time and (2) I think the skill of the chiro has to be impecable and a person at the top of their game or they could do some serious damage just like a human one can. You have to have a really great one to perform the adjustments. In the grande scheme of things I do think there is absolutely a place for this.
Absolutely agree. I'm lucky that I have an excellent vet/chiro, who was highly recommended by multiple horse friends. I'm not sure every horse needs it, or necessarily regular basis, but certainly I would now check right away with any horse that has an issue, rather than immediately assuming that there is a behavior / training issue.

I've been going to one since 1988, has helped me, and my horses get seen as necessary. My filly that was third at Worlds needed one and I feel she wouldn't have gotten as far as she did without help with her back and neck.

I won't have any of mine worked on at a show or right before a show. If they are too back to perform before then they will still be sore and not recovered enough to perform. I know this firsthand. My sister was trying to be nice and hooked us up with her chiro at the Pinto Worlds one year. My mare was not moving correctly in the cart but she was moving. He said she was out in the hip (which was true from jumping) but after he "fixed" her she couldn't win another driving class.

Nancy or anyone in Ohio, could you recommend an equine chiropractor in our area? You can private message if you would like.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back