Enough?? He thinks I have ENOUGH?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
According to my dad, I have "enough" horses. Silly man.
default_no.gif

Ok, with a six-stall barn and seven horses here, we're overloaded, but that's why we're building a new barn.

Sure, could be 2 babies on the way, but no biggie.

It'll be FUN!

Kari

I can completely understand Kari...Vince thinks I have too many too
default_smile.png
How are you liking your latest addition?

Tracy

A 6 stall barn and 7 horses???? So where's the problem?????
default_laugh.png
sorry.

We need to reduce our numbers a bit here too due to keeping so many of our fillies the last couple of years or buying back mares. Our problems arise from not being able to agree who stays and who goes! We just keep a very small herd so each individual is special. These mares we bought as tiny babies, raised them up, got them through their show season then they produce beautiful foals for us....how do we make the decision?

Mooney is leaving for England soon. Star is off the sales list for now. C A is on the sales list but Frank wants to keep her so she'll soon be off I suspect LOL I guess we need to build more barn too! And build more GROUND!
default_new_shocked.gif

When will the new barn be finished?

Charlotte

Oh, you still have room! We converted a four stall barn into a seven stall barn (and if more than two were mini stalls, it could be a lot more!)!
default_new_shocked.gif
Ok, so one stall is in the isle, but hey, no one cares! You can never have too many!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband thinks i have more than enough, he thought that a couple horses ago.

I have a 5-stall barn and 8 horses.
default_new_shocked.gif
5 mares live at the barn, my B-stallion has his own run and run-in shed and the last two share a "stall" in the hay shed. They are all very happy and I'd be happy to add more. They are only in their stalls for meals, so no biggie.

Just a couple of suggestions from someone who doesn't actually have too many; but who has to keep telling herself she has "enough".

#1 - Find yourself a good set of stall stretchers.

#2 - If you can't find them think about saving space in the stalls you do have. Like bunk beds or even sleeping bags instead of double or queen size beds. Drop leaf tables save room when not in use. Hang their TV on the wall rather than having them on a table.

You get the idea.
default_wink.png
It might be fun if someone else can add to my list.

Oh I am married to one of those.
default_laugh.png
How can 14 minis be 'enough' ? I keep telling him the retirees and the new babies really don't count since the babies don't really take much room and the retirees are just 'landscaping'
default_wink.png
I told him around 20 was a good place to call a halt (Course I could change my mind when/if I reach 20 lol)

I have 20 here and only a 10 stall barn. Though most of mine stay out 24/7 with run in sheds. I also have another 7 at my parents place. My husband says I have to many but what does he agree to let me do, buy 4 more minis(2 studs, a 2 year old mare and a weanling filly).
default_wink.png
Though some are for sale.

Reignmaker,

This is perfect! [SIZE=14pt]retirees are just 'landscaping'[/SIZE] Can I use this too??

Charlotte

Have enough...I have enough...I have enough...I just keep saying that to myself. I agree Charlotte...I cannot let go of my original mares.

Oh Kari........Where does it say you have to stall each and every horse?
default_wink.png
As long as they have shelter they all would be fine.......

We have over 50 minis and ponies. Can you see us stalling them ALL? (And that doesn't count the 6 riding horses!) Oh! And what about our Llamas???? And the GOAT???? :DOH! Half the time, the horses don't even WANT to be in the shelters!

(Sorry Dad........Don't kill me, Okay?
default_laugh.png
)

Kari....What it comes down to is how many can you manage and afford, but I'm sure you know that. As it is, we are managing and affording, but we aren't spending anything extra on things that would be nice........like vacations! (But that's another story.) Just move gradually. It's easier to keep adding onto your herd than it is to SHRINK it.......especially when you find your heart is involved. (Experience speaking here.)

Bless you, my friend.......
default_saludando.gif

Too many? lol... hmm I would love to get more! I have a 6 stall barn and 5 minis. That last stall is reserved for one heck of a beautiful stallion when I find him! Sure I could split my 6 stalls in half as they are big horse 13x13 stalls but I like them to have a big space to move in if they have to stay indoors. (especially because we are on the flat and it gets pretty windy and rainy here!) and honestly I could only give attention to 6 reasonably!

I could never part with the horses I have now,2 out of the 5 are just pets too! One is a 14 yr old mare who cannot be bred as she is infertile and has people issues as she was abused, the other is a 20 yr old mare that is a retiree. My one colt has locking stifles and is an ongoing work in progress and my other two mares are my show/ driving gals!

My parents got me a shirt for my b day last year that says "I do not need another horse... I do not need another horse ... I do not need another horse..."

I was told by my mini breeder when I got my first one that minis are like potato chips, you can't just have one. I will admit that when I do start thinking of adding on I put a rubber band on my wrist and start snapping it real hard.

Trying to control the urge but still shopping the whole while. She has this really purty appy colt... hmmmmm potato chips, yummy. snap snap snap

I dont remember what its like to not have the "new horse" feeling....

I have only 12 here and one in Iowa that i bought that is coming home in the spring, three of the mares in foal for 09 so = 3 babies coming in spring starting in Febuary...atleast one of those is a keeper...want to add one or two mares early next spring, have in mind what i want but not really looking at this time.

LOL, you guys are too funny!!!

Tracy, Lace is doing fine, my 2yo filly loves her already. Thanks again for bringing her from ID for me.

Charlotte, our new barn has the roof on and they're framing the sides as I type! It's exciting to watch come together.
default_wub.png

Oh, MA, I know each horse doesn't need a stall, but I like to give them their own space, plus we have cougars around here... I don't like to leave the horses out at night. Some say I'm too protective.................
default_wacko.png
Then there's our nasty winter weather.

Until my girls have their new digs, Patty's sharing a 12x12 with her prima donna daughter, Tigger! Training/showing/winning turned her into a major snob.

Kari

It never feels like enough,,, oh wait,,, after working all day, coming home to mud everywhere, the horses never seem to dry out, then there it more hay to haul in, and more shavings bags... Then the hoof trimming I do, and now it is time to clean the stalls again!!!! Okay so right now, two seems like enough, not 7!

I say if you are having someone else feed and clean stalls he probably won't care how many you have. You have an awesome supportive family.

You're right Kim, I DO have a great family! Very supportive.
default_smile.png

Kari

Back