Efficient bulbs exploding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
News coming up later sometime? ::: I did not hear it all just the end tail of it, but those so called bulbs that are good for efficiency.

About a few months ago, I was standing doing dishes and had one of these bulbs right behind me explode. Hubby thought at the time was not the way it should have blown out, pieces everywhere.

Now I heard something and not sure what it was about? Did anyone else hear about these bulbs or have had a similar situation?

Yup, luckily they were inside two celing fan domes. I won't use them again.

(Probably some litebulb mill making a new breed of lite bulb and passing them off as longer living. Yea right!
default_wink.png
: )

Are you talking about the stupid looking light bulbs that are kinda like a twisted tube?

If so, those supposed longer lasting bulbs haven't blown up here, but they give out a crappy amount of light and so far, they've only lasted a few months.

I'll take the old time light bulbs any day!

I thinks the twisted ones work great. They have never exploded on me and the lightblub in my room hasent been changed for at least 8 months.

I am using the florescent screw in bulbs here too (They are the ones that look like corkscrews)and I love them. They seem to be lasting longer than the regular ones. We get a lot of power surges and the others were blowing seemed like every day. Haven't had to change any here in a couple of months. You do have to watch what wattage you get. Go ahead and get the higher wattage and you get good light and being florescent they use less power than the regular ones. I have seen the ones that are supposed to last 5 years, I was leary about that claim anyway. To good to be true. Just me. lol

Yes, the corkscrew ones, we have been using them for a year or more, but few months ago was our first exploded one. Yes, you have to watch which one you get, if not instructions they say not too buy them.

So called cheaply made ones are now coming on the market... and are unsafe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I switched over 3 years ago to those CFL ones. But there is quite a bit of difference between the REAL cheap ones and the higher in price ones. Philip's etc, makes good ones. I have had them in for a long time and have only replaced 2 out of 9 burn out what I thought was a short period of time. I even use a 11 W one to put light on my keyboard for those late nights on the net
default_rolleyes.gif
: I like them and they do cut back on the electricity bill~!~

I have had 8 in my most used ceiling fans for 2 years now, no problems. Switched all my bulbs over last year ( those that arent on dimmers) and have yet to have any problems.

We did not have it on a dimmer light.

These are the bulbs we use, just went to check...

The spiral one is what exploded and my hubby thought it was a power serge, now we are not sure.

This was again a few months ago, and no others have exploded.

Just wanted to share and yes, we still are using them, we also have changed most of our bulbs except for a few which we are just waiting to die out.

LightBulbs.jpg

We have the Phillips brand in all our lights, except the dimmer switches. We have lived in our new house since September and no burned out bulbs! We used to have a real problem with bulbs burning out. Also I have noticed that the longer the light is on the brighter it gets. It turns on dim and then slowly lights up. We have never had one explode, knock on wood
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back