eastern equine encephalitis outbreak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Hi,

I have just heard that in York county, actually just down the way from me, 2 horses and a bird have recently died that were infected by this virus. They are warning people to be cautious about being outside at dawn and dusk and to take precautions against being bitten by mosquitos.

They have cancelled all football practice for the time being because the field is right next to where the horse died a few days ago.

I looked it up online and it is a horrible virus.

I got bitten last night by a mosquito and then came in and heard about it and it worried me a bit.

I thought I would spread the word, this has been on the news but just in case you missed it!

7 people have died from it in New Hampshire alone. We have deffinently heard of it.

No I had not heard of this but I am in Ontario and our mosquitoe population is gone, thank goodness but been replaced by the ever pesky flies!!! Mind you tomorrow is the last summer type temps and then we are into Fall weather which will kill the darn flies too.

I live in Ontario too, along the St Lawrence River and the mosquitoes are terrible here especially in the evening. I have never heard of this virus but very worried.

With the nights being unusally warm the bugs are terrible, we will put lots of bug spray on us and the horses.

Just something else to worry about ahhhhh!

All the deaths have been in the past couple of months. I believe the youngest was a 5 year old girl. Im not sure, I cant remember things too well. Ill try to find out more & post here if I find it. I believe the first was in june or july? Usually there is an average of only 4 EEE deaths a year in the whole country.

I think we've had EEE in this province, but not often & not recently. WEE is more common here, and it's not as deadly as the eastern variety.

I'd heard earlier in the summer that there was EEE in the southeast (Florida); on another board a gal mentioned that her Mini was sick with EEE--he got so bad so fast that she euthanized him after less than 48 hours of treatment. He'd been vaccinated this year too.

Here our mosquito season has been mostly done for several weeks. Today should finish it for sure, we are getting SNOW.
wacko.gif

unsure.gif

Fiona, Several horses in our area have been put down from it. The ones I know about were in Chester NH, Kingston NH, and Concord MA. There were several others but I don't remember what towns they were in. The mosquito that carries

this is around now thats why all the precautions. Linda B
yes.gif

Two horses in Petersham, MA died from it within the past couple of weeks and 1 horse from somewhere on the Cape as well.

The mosquitoes seem to be back in full force out this way right now.

capall beag said:
Hi,I have just heard that in York county, actually just down the way from me, 2 horses and a bird have recently died that were infected by this virus. They are warning people to be cautious about being outside at dawn and dusk and to take precautions against being bitten by mosquitos.

They have cancelled all football practice for the time being because the field is right next to where the horse died a few days ago.

I looked it up online and it is a horrible virus.

I got bitten last night by a mosquito and then came in and heard about it and it worried me a bit.

I thought I would spread the word, this has been on the news but just in case you missed it!

479338[/snapback]

showmofffarm said:
Two horses in Petersham, MA died from it within the past couple of weeks and 1 horse from somewhere on the Cape as well.The mosquitoes seem to be back in full force out this way right now.

479648[/snapback]

Fiona,

I have certianly heard about it as I live less than 5 miles from the horse that died in Lebanon Me. I spoke to my vet and was told both the horse in York and Lebanon had not been vacinated. There have also been 3 alpacas die in the last week of EEE. So Scary. Never thought I'd be happy to see winter come, but I will be this year.

Was just reading about it on another board. Everyone is saying it's a good idea to booster. We are central Maine, so I'm going to call my Vet in the morning and see what he thinks.

Latest posts

Back