Ears.!! Im going to chop them off.!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie.C

Reaction score
No not really.

I'm having a hard time getting my colts ears up , he will stand beautifully but I can't find anything that interests him enough to put his ears up, so I'm after any tips or ways that people get their horses ears up. He's soo frustrating.

I know the feeling LOL

Some times stepping back one step will get ears. Some horses that feel you're in their space will put their ears back.

Have you tried a wrapper that crinkles?

One time I put a small baggie of mulched apple in my pocket and I'd dip into it to get the juice & smell on my hand to get interest.

I use the crunchy wrapper from the outside of a cigarett pack. Before show season, I make my hubby save me a bunch. They are really snappy sounding and loud enough to get my horses attation, but not loud enough to distract other horses or the judge. They also are like lil bags too so I but a lil grain or cookie in them.

food... mints, so they get used to the sound of them being unwrapped, grass, hay, anything. That is why you need pockets in your show clothes. And then you need to vary it so you KEEP their attention from show to show.

OH goodness, haven't we all been there? You have gotten some good ideas, but the one from Reo about taking a step back really got me to thinking. We have several show horses, and one is a great gelding, but if you are in his space his ears are down, so I learned something new to day and it got me to thinking. Also I would like to add, don't reward with a treat when ears are down, it may take some time but only let them have a bite when everything is perfect including the ears.

Latest posts

Back