Dwarfism question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I just have a question concerning dwarves. Can a very nice looking young horse with no obvious signs of dwarfism show the signs much later on? I ask because I have a super small gelding that was perfect until a year ago, when his bite went way off. Yes, his teeth are floated and flat, in case you are wondering that. They began to go off at about 4 years old and after a year, they are way off.

I just wonder since we can all learn from others experiences. I do not really see any other characteristics, but he is certainly not a perfect horse.

So, are all dwarfs born dwarfy???

I'm not going to answer for your own situation, but yes, there is a certain kind of dwarfism that doesn't show at birth but becomes more obvious during the foal's first year. I will say, however, that a bite that goes off on any horse, is not -- by itself -- a sign of dwarfism.

MA

I don't know... I had a gelding that ended up going back to his breeder (traded for a mare). His bite was "perfect" when I got him as a weanling but by the time he was 18mos, it was off and I mean WAY off. When I first noticed, it felt like a punch in the stomach as it was off like an inch. He was already gelded, and that was the only real conformation fault in that horse. I did notice later that someone was advertising a paternal uncle to that horse for sale, and noted he had a severely off bite...

But, I don't know that I have heard of one going off as an adult? Did the change in his bite coincide with adult teeth coming in??? I'd question if what has happened if he didn't retain some of his baby teeth as the adult ones came in? That has happened to one of my horses in the past and once the baby teeth pulled, things lined back up to perfect.

An off bite on it's own is not a sign of dwarfism.

It can be a warning light, but since your chap is already gelded, and you are doing all the right things, I would not be too concerned.

We had a filly, can't remember how old she was, her bite went of with 1 1/2 went back and is fine.

Now she is 2 years

A

An off bite can come from hooks on molars that force the bite off. Not a dwarf characteristic but.... It is very common for a foal to become more dwarfy as it ages. Some you can tell right away and others you have suspicions but cant put your finger on something for sure and then at 2 or even earlier, the characteristics become more pronounced as the body lenthens but the legs dont correspond or a neck stays short, things like that. If the legs are somewhat straight , this applies to achondroplastic dwarves more than others.

Lyn

I might get moved but get it from my chest.

My husband watched hunting channel we saw a dwarf deer.

A

I just have a question concerning dwarves. Can a very nice looking young horse with no obvious signs of dwarfism show the signs much later on? I ask because I have a super small gelding that was perfect until a year ago, when his bite went way off. yes, his teeth are floated and flat, in case you are wondering that. They began to go off at about 4 years old and after a year, they are way off.

I just wonder since we can all learn from others experiences. I do not really see any other characteristics, but he is certainly not a perfect horse.

So, are all dwarfs born dwarfy???
If the bite didn't go off until age 4, I would be looking at possibly retained teeth, or too large/too many teeth for jaw structure, if there are no hooks etc throwing the bite off. Is the bite undershot, overshot, or wavemouth? I've seen some pretty ugly bites in full sized horses so bite alone is not what I'd consider a dwarf trait. Some bite issues aren't even genetic, think fractured jaw, tooth loss, poor tooth care and wear, etc.

For anyone interested in learning from the worlds Dwarfism expert, John Eberth, the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario will be hosting a seminar with John on February 17th. This is a very rare chance to hear the real goods and to get your questions about this disease answered.

Anyone who can make it (just outside of Toronto, Ontario near Guelph) should really plan to attend. The information is on the MHCO website linking off of the Calendar page www.mhco.ca

Hope lots of you can come.

Latest posts

Back