dwarf for sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I ran across an ad for a cute dwarf mini for sale on a local website. I am concerned this little guy will end up in the wrong hands, and we all know he may be special needs. I am afraid someone might buy him for a novelty.

What would you do?

thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it that when a subject like this comes up that people automatically assume that the person who has the horse for sale knows nothing about what they are doing?

This topic seems to come up every so often, and it seems that everyone always jumps on the bandwagon that the person who is selling knows nothing and are just trying to make a quick buck. Then if the dwarf is being sold cheap, everyone is afraid it will go to a home where it will not be taken care of.

There are some wonderful people on this board, but we don't need to consider it our duty to police the entire equine world.

Franklin said:
Why is it that when a subject like this comes up that people automatically assume that the person who has the horse for sale knows nothing about what they are doing? 
This topic seems to come up every so often, and it seems that everyone always jumps on the bandwagon that the person who is selling knows nothing and are just trying to make a quick buck.  Then if the dwarf is being sold cheap, everyone is afraid it will go to a home where it will not be taken care of.

There are some wonderful people on this board, but we don't need to consider it our duty to police the entire equine world.

521161[/snapback]

I actually agree....and for the record there are people out there who want dwarves and have been known to pay good money for them.......if someone can afford a 1000 price I am gonna guess than can afford the upkeep
wink.gif

........by the looks of where this post went I am sorry I posted.

I am certainly NOT a part of any click on here and NEVER have been.

I went to the website but it was already gone. I could not find it. I don't think that anyone meant that everytime a dwarf is sold the people are out to make a profit or don't know anything about them. It just seems it would be better if they would put the money in a trust for the care of the dwarf in the days and years to come. There are some wonderful people out there that have dwarfs and know alot about them and they place them in good homes. We have alot of people on this forum that are good dwarf mama's and daddy's.........and very good mama's and daddy's who give them up when they are born so they can live and be spoiled rotten and most of all loved............

yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif

Whatever became of the forum Pixie's Yard? I used to visit it often, and I had gotten too busy to visit much of the puter at all and when I went to my shortcut could not find it any more. Does Jean still have it going, or ???

It was a great place to learn about the dwarfs.

Why is it that when a subject like this comes up that people automatically assume that the person who has the horse for sale knows nothing about what they are doing? we don't need to consider it our duty to police the entire equine world.
sorry, wwmhf.

Maybe if you were someone else more "popular" here people might have responded differently to you instead of saying something like "shame on you" for bringing up something like this. I see this place sometimes as being very clicky. Like high school.

Sorry if that sounds grouchy. I just think wwmhf was trying to do something good and got her/his hands slapped for it.

wwmhf, your heart was in the right place.

[SIZE=14pt]It should always be about the horse.[/SIZE]

Okay, off my soap box. Now going to get hot chocolate that my secret santa sent me and to put on my flame suit.

I guess everybody moved to Little Bits Forum

SILVER said:
Whatever became of the forum Pixie's Yard? I used to visit it often, and I had gotten too busy  to visit much of the puter at all and when I went to my shortcut could not find it any more. Does Jean still have it going, or ???It was a great place to learn about the dwarfs.

521174[/snapback]

wwmhf didnt ask about how to get through to anyone he/she asked what to do about getting a dwarf with a high price tag when the money isnt available right now. That was the question asked but often no one answers what is asked. It seemed to me that wwmhf was asking for suggestions of what to do about negotiating the money for a horse that right now was out of reach. Correct me if Im wrong.

I AGREE about this Forum often times being very clicky.Some of the good posts don't even get so much as an aknowledgement many times&other posts just go on forever.As a former owner of a dwarf I have to voice my concern about dwarf ownership by many people.I have seen too many times people get a dwarf as a novelty without regard for the extensive proper care required.I loved my Chester so much I knew I had to find a special angel to care for him.I DID - Veronique at Hearts&Hooves in TX.(I am 1 of those who thinks that a dwarf should never be sold-only given as a special gift to someone very special)I am sure wwmhf is only concerned about the welfare of the little guy since I think she has some of the special guys of her own.I guess it is difficult when we are so diversified in personalities.I have learned so much from this Forum and I hope we all try to share&learn.I also learned a lot from Pixies Forum.

My only concern was for the horse. I am very sorry I asked how to help this little guy.

I thought I could get some constructive things to tell the seller, about making sure the new owners knew about dwarfism. I will refer to Pixies forum.

And a BIG thank you to those who understood what I meant by the question. No, I am not a popular one, and in the click, but oh, well, I will just read to learn.

But, No more questions from me for a while...

Don't feel bad in not being in the "click" you asked a legitimate question and some people just seem to want to argue every point that is on here. Just know that your heart is in the right spot and concern for the horse as is most of the people on this forum. Newcomers seem not to get as much so-called "respect" as people that have been here a long time (on the forum) doesn't make you less knowledgeable about horses and with recent discussions, people may be a little less receptive and less trusting of what is behind the words. Hang in there you are a good person
saludando.gif

wwmhf your heart is in the right place and i commend you for being worried about a horse you have never met
yes.gif

please dont stop asking questions. jump in and ask away!

Kay

You shouldnt be afraid to ask a question this is a forum that is based on asking questions it's just that sometimes the question asked isnt the question read or answered. I commend you for wanting to be sure this little guy could go somewhere where his special needs are recognized and addressed. Having lost a dwarf after a 6 week battle last year I surely understand your concern. We surely tried but our battle was in vain we lost Bernie after 6 weeks fo extensive vet care and I will never forget that sweet little guy.

You know, this is just my opinion, but I have never been able to fathom anyone actually selling a dwarf for money.

Knowing the vet bills and special care they will incur (I have never had one but a couple of friends here have) I would feel LUCKY if they were able to be placed in a special home where they would be cared for the way they should be.

I would never have the nerve to ask money for one....

yankee_minis said:
Why is it that when a subject like this comes up that people automatically assume that the person who has the horse for sale knows nothing about what they are doing? we don't need to consider it our duty to police the entire equine world.
sorry, wwmhf.

Maybe if you were someone else more "popular" here people might have responded differently to you instead of saying something like "shame on you" for bringing up something like this. I see this place sometimes as being very clicky. Like high school.

Sorry if that sounds grouchy. I just think wwmhf was trying to do something good and got her/his hands slapped for it.

wwmhf, your heart was in the right place.

[SIZE=14pt]It should always be about the horse.[/SIZE]

Okay, off my soap box. Now going to get hot chocolate that my secret santa sent me and to put on my flame suit.

521175[/snapback]

Wow I thought the same thing... I too am sorry wwmhf that 'someone' took your post wrong...we know your heart was in the right place!

Well I am not sure there is a clique ? but I do see many jumping on to tell others how what they do is wrong even when not asked.. but just human nature I guess some feel if they always tell others they are wrong (as a general statement not about this thread) they will look to be always right

Anyway..i get concerned when I see someone selling or even giving away a dwarf as I knhow what it takes in upkeep and heartbreak as well. Our little dwarf cost us close to 10,000 in vet bills when all was said and done and that was with donated costs included.

However what she paid back to our family is priceless. I was flamed by many for choosing to do what we did and that is ok i dont often look for approval
wink.gif

I think if all parties are truly informed it can be great however.. maybe you can ask if they are set on that price or are willing to talk it over to the right home?

WOW! I have 20 posts and already I am a member of the click! GET REAL!

My only concern was for the horse. I am very sorry I asked how to help this little guy.
I thought I could get some constructive things to tell the seller, about making sure the new owners knew about dwarfism.
Just proves my point about some people who automatically think no one else knows what they are doing and it is their duty to straighten them out.

wwmhf didnt ask about how to get through to anyone he/she asked what to do about getting a dwarf with a high price tag when the money isnt available right now. That was the question asked but often no one answers what is asked. It seemed to me that wwmhf was asking for suggestions of what to do about negotiating the money for a horse that right now was out of reach. Correct me if Im wrong.
Although the original post has now been edited, it did (to begin with) state that she had ROOM for the dwarf, but not the MONEY. Hmmm... Where have we heard that before. What about all those "expenses" if there is no money?

My comments were not an attack on any individual, but a general statement regarding the conceit of some people thinking they know more than any one else and should set others straight. Then I am accused of being part of a click. Yea right. Go figure.

Well here is what I keep seeing over and over..........

People come on and are upset when someone has a dwarf or assumed dwarf for sale .....then in the same breath they will say if someone can't pay a decent price for a horse how can they care for it
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

the purchase price is the least of the expense of owning a horse
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

there may or may not be a clique on here

I agree a horses best interest should be at the heart of it all

I am not sure when we became the horse police though......I am coming to the forum less and less as all I seem to see anymore is fault finding, blame laying, and policing of every little thing people post.....can't even enjoy people pics anymore as someone always finds something horribly wrong with the horse or the fencing or the barn or what have you.......

why post on here when you could have called and spoke with the person selling the dwarf? I mean is it possible they put the price tag on it to weed out the people looking for a freebie? Maybe they know exactly the type of care this horse requires but if you don't call and talk to them directly you will never know.

this is just my opinion and it isn't worth a penny anymore........

Latest posts

Back