dunskin and silver buckskin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
Ive started a new thread in the photos forum appealing for pics of dunskins and silver buckskins (foals especially) if you have any please please post your pics

Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue, you want to speak to Kathy at Oakleigh Miniatures about this. She has some knowlidge and has bred at least one dunskin.

Here is a silver dunskin filly we had.

Stretch.jpg

Stretch1.jpg

1020_139_2032.jpg I hope I did this right. here is Baxter. He is a buckskin dun. No silver. he has very strong dun markings. I hope the show up in the pic. He has great stipes on his legs and a very dark stipe down his back which can't be seen in the photo.

beautiful horses , Im trying to learn to recognise foal colours , the every day colours I can do but the less common ones are still a puzzle to me , many of them look so alike for the first year

View attachment 5313 I hope I did this right. here is Baxter. He is a buckskin dun. No silver. he has very strong dun markings. I hope the show up in the pic. He has great stipes on his legs and a very dark stipe down his back which can't be seen in the photo.

default_saludando.gif
OMG he is stunning what color was he when he was born

default_saludando.gif
OMG he is stunning what color was he when he was born
i HOPE I AM POSTING THESE RIGHT.

We bought him from Shauna at Ravenloft miniatures and these are 2 baby pics showing his stripes.p25994281.jpgBaxter_stripes_frontlegs_6_26_09.jpg

thanks!

Silver Buckskin

As a foal

87918.JPG

Yearling

58731.jpg

Now (5yo)

883964.jpg

893196.JPG

Silver Buckskin

As a foal

87918.JPG

Yearling

58731.jpg

Now (5yo)

883964.jpg

893196.JPG
anyssapark thats perfect , it looks like she has a false dorsal for a while (yearling pic) I think looking at your pics and lilnickers I could hopefully regognise silver buckskin

sheila those markings are awesome , theres no mistaking his colour !!!

sfmini, Ive never seen a silver dunskin , I think I would have guessed wrong and said silver bay too

shadelady I had a look on oakleighs website and found the dunskin , I have a better idea now of the colours

Thankyou everyone for your help

Remember dun skin vs. silver buckskin... you can have a buckskin with dun factor, a silver buckskin with dun factor. It's not necessarily two DIFFERENT colors but whether or not the horse carries dun in addition to the base color. Look for the dun factor. Dorsal, shoulder bars, leg stripes, etc. That is how you tell if the horse is dun, and again, that dun is "on top of" whatever other color the horse happens to be
default_yes.gif

Currently, we own six buckskins of various shades and some carry dun, some do not. All carry cream, of course. I used to own a silver buckskin with dun and appy! And she had a perlino filly sired by an appy. It almost boggles the mind to think of the colors and modifiers that filly may have carried but visually hidden
default_smile.png

OK- I think???? these 2 mares are silver buckskin and buckskin- mother and daughter- i purchased them as a pair, and I dont know what he sire was...they are 2 grade pets....

charlie.jpg

dollyfront.JPG

Latest posts

Back