Dumor Weight Builder Vr Farnnam Weight Builder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Have you tried either of these, both you can get at TSC..both are almost the same price $20.99 - 25.99 but different brands, have you tried either of these with good results?

Did they make your horse "hotter"? Did you notice a good physical change, as in..did it get the job done?

Have a few who are harder keepers, but do not necessarily want them much "hotter".

Having tried every sort of grain with both of these two and everything i tried that worked just made them a bit hotter then they already are and that i would like them be, so now on the look for a suppliment to dress on the cooler grain i have them on.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
These two i just would like to add weight to, i have some others that are up to be shown that are on a muscle suppliment, these other two i just want to add weight too.

Has anyone had better luck with one brand, rather then the other?

I have used the farnam Weight Builder and saw no results with either of the horses. For weight without energy, I find rice bran to be the best. It's what I use for my TB gelding when he needs a little something. L

I have tried the farnum brand and too did not see much of a difference.

I do feed a dumor feed to one of mine and have nothing bad to say about them. Find them to be honest as to what's in their feed with no fillers

Now when I think about it NONE of the farnum products I've used has worked: platform mini feed, weight builder, all of their fly sprays...
default_new_shocked.gif

Leanna from what I gather, as it was explained to me at the store, (TSC) Dumor is a name that Tractor Supply uses, but the actual maker of Dumor products is Farnum so you might see little difference. As with most Farnum products, I've used them for years and they do make a nice product but don't know about the weight builder. Horse Health Inc also makes a nice line of good products.

I have never had any luck with weight building products, I usually just increase the beet pulp, alfalfa and grain.

A few years back I bought a gelding without seeing him first. When he arrived to us he was literally skin and bones. He was supposedly already eating a large amount of grain so I added beat pulp to his diet along with his normal amount of feed. I wanted to add a weight supplement as well and decided on Farnam Weight Builder because I had used Farnam products before and liked how they worked. The weight builder worked wonders on this gelding. I noticed a big difference in a short amount of time after starting the weight builder. Once I was satisfied with his weight I took him off the weight builder and kept him on his same amount of feed. He was the type of horse that was naturally hot. I didn't notice any difference in his personality or hotness while he was on the Farnam weight builder.

Have you tried adding in soy oil? 1 cup is 1000 calories. You can add up to 20% more to their food intake of oil and not upset their balance. I don't like doing corn oil.

Or try stabilized rice bran, pelleted preferred? I have good luck with that.

I will second the soybean oil... it is basically just calories in the form of fat/oil... haven't had a horse get super "hot" on it... just remember that when you increase the caloric intake of the horse... calories ARE energy. So the horse expresses this energy outwardly as well as by putting on weight, which is storage versus using it.

I usually have luck working the horse to burn off the excess that isn't stored.

That said, I have a friend that had a stallion who was a hard keeper. She tried some different supplements specifically for weight gain, and had the best results with a product called "Fat Cat". I have also heard good things about Gleam And Gain, but it is expensive.

Good luck,

Andrea

I have used the Farnam weight supplement on my Stallion Storm and it worked wonders on him, his grain was cut down more then half after he was put on it and he kept good weight. Took him off the supplement and he needed more grain again. So I think its prove right there it works, atleast with him.

edited to ad, It did not make him any hotter either. And have also had the mare I use to own on it and it worked wonders on her wieght, and never made her hotter either.

I used Farnam weight builder a few years on a 3yr. old AQHA mare I got that was skin and bones. It didnt seem to help her gain weight any faster, it still took having her teeth done, dewormed, and months on good grain, hay, and pasture. It also seemed to make her hot, however that could have just been because she was eating good.

My senior AQHA mare has a HARD time keeping weight. Fat Cat used to work well for her, it promotes muscle and weight gain. I would still give it to her, but switched her to an alfalfa cube/ beet pulp/ oil mash because I wanted her getting more forage and water.

Fat cat is 11.99 for 1.5 lb, or 23.99 for 5lb when purchased in bucket from smartpak equine. I always get supplements there if I cant get them locally because shipping is like $7 or $8 flat rate.

Other than the fat cat I REALLY liked an oil product that manna pro makes, its called "Equine Fat Supplement" and really put weight on my mare too. I beleive you can get it at Tractor supply, I used to get it for $12 or $13 for a gallon (probably went up, havent bought it in a year) and that lasts a big horse 2 months. Also when I used this I never used shine products on my horse, and everyone always went on and on about how shiny she was, and asked what I used. I did not notice this make my mare hot, and she was my barrel/pole/games/showmanship horse.

We used the Farnum weight builder on a Thoroughbred that we got from a rescue farm. Excellent results with weight gain and we were able to cut the grain intake almost in half. Have no experience using it on Minis though. We do use the soy oil on our senior Belgian Draft Horses with good results too.

I also like the Farnam weight builder. I had used it on 4 different horses, including Christina's stallion Storm and all 4 showed big improvments once it started working. You can give more and more grain to the horse or hay but they get too full and just won't eat it. Thats what happened to my first one I tried it with, I had no clue how to get food into this horse if he won't even eat anymore. Added the supplement and about a month he looked awesome. Happened that way with everyone else.

I think sometimes people think it could be a quick fix and expect results right away, took about a month to work and you could see results. Did not make them hot either, just added extra weight.

So my vote is the Farnam but have not tried the Dumor.

Any weight gain supplement takes 4-6 weeks to work, but then anytime you are trying to add weight to a horse - it takes a long time. It's not a couple week fix, especially if you are working them along side trying to get them to put weight on.

Just settle into something and let it have time to work.

Latest posts

Back