Due to weather and gas prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filipowicz Farm

Reaction score
Due to the weather in many parts being cold and wet and the price of gas do you find show attendance down from last year or about the same or more..How are your shows in your area?

I think the herpes virus is also taking its toll on shows... I myself am not going to any shows this year for personal reasons among others ... but although the cold doesn't affect us here, gas prices and the virus sure have affected things around here...

Andrea

I don't have the statistics on the ECMHC show that was held in April in Williamston, NC but it seemed to me that all the classes had horses, not just one or two, and the barns were full. As for our local 4-H shows attendence is actually up, since it is local and people can't afford the long distance shows, there wasn't any space left to cram in another trailer. this show was held Memorial Day weekend and I think people would rather show local then drive how many miles away to the beach or breed shows. Grand son got first in pony and second in mares, the quarter horse people didn't like that much. All the classes had at least six horses.

We just had our first ASPC/AMHR show of the season today. Entries were down slightly, I'm not sure why--a bit part of it is the crappy weather we've had all spring. Our snow lingered--all 3 feet of it!--well into April, and then once the snow went off it's been so wet (first from the spring thaw, then from rain, rain and more rain) that people just can't get going. Farmers are in poor shape, with pastures flooded, hayland flooded, crop land either flooded or simply too wet for anyone to get onto the land to do the seeding. Gas prices are up, the economy overall still isn't all that wonderful. Then of course there are always those few that boycott a show in hopes that it will fail... The EHV-1 outbreak might have kept a couple away, some did ask about the disease and how it might impact our show. One exhibitor had another illness in her herd & so could not show. I believe a couple of owners didn't attend due to conflicting shows--not on the same date but within a couple days of each other, and people didn't want to drive a long distance home & then head off to another show the next day.

Biggest thing, though, people just haven't been able to work horses unless they have an indoor arena. I probably wouldn't have been showing today if I'd had to drive any distance to get to the show and if I weren't one of the organizers--my ponies just weren't ready. I'd hoped to have one driving entry but since I didn't get one single drive in this spring....no such thing. I know there were another couple of exhibitors who said the same thing--just not ready to drive at this show. Halter entries today weren't too bad but driving entries were almost non-existant.

In spite of the lower entry numbers the show should do okay financially--better than we'd first thought--and that's one of the main things. The show was fun for those that were showing, and many were already talking about "next year" so that is always a positive thing. We had a couple of new exhibitors, and there were a fair number of spectators. All in all I think it was a very good show and we look forward to 'bigger and better' next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a lot of shows canceled and postponed here, but that is mainly due to EHV-1 precautions. Best stated: there are no emergency horse shows! They'll be plenty of shows coming up in the near future.
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

We were down at Clinton, Ontario.

Amelia reported that there were a few conflicting shows.

The Judge said that numbers were really down in Ohio at a show he had judged earlier this year.

Our club's annual AMHR show in Michigan last weekend had an increase in horses and entries from last year. However, we did decrease our entry fees, allow post entries at no extra cost, offer non-rated classes for unregistered/non-AMHR minis, have payback fun classes and prizes for all youth. I think clubs will have to get creative to attract and keep exhibitors coming.

I have decided to avoid showing this yr cause of lack of funds and personal reasons myself. I bought a brand new mini trailer so my $$$ are going to that instead.

PLUS!

I just filled my barn with hay... I bought a whole field at a great deal! It defently helps to have a friend who has a wonderful field of nice quality horse hay and them having NO horses. Made out like a bandit at $2 per bale out of the field!

Maybe back in the ring next yr!

Definitely down here in Delaware in all breeds.Our Delmarva Mini spring Classic usually has 75-125 horses-last weekend 55 I think.Toby does announcing for most big horse breeds at our fairgrounds and he said even quarter horse entries are way down.Area One AMHR show is here July 4 weekend-we shall see what entries are for that

We are not showing this year for 2 reasons. First could not get the horses in good enough condition to show. We finally dried out last week enough to mow and still had water in places. Just very muddy here and second the price of gas. Since we were only going to go to three shows and two would be now Ashland Ohio and Centerville and Midland later. The first two shows the horses not ready . We deceided to take this year off from showing. Might drive up to see friends at some shows for part of the day.

Back