drying up a mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
We have a mare with a yearling, and they'll soon be separated when he heads to a new home. He still nurses occasionally and she has a noticeable bag. We're looking for suggestions to ease any discomfort she may have when he leaves-

thanks,

LG

You may want to ask your vet to see if they have anything more effective, but banamine does help with the pain and some excessive swelling. You can use a cold compress if your mare will allow you to, keep her off of grass as grass seems to help with stimulating the body to produce milk. If the swelling is initially excessive you may want to try a product like udder butter especially between the bag and the leg area to prevent cracking and sores (rub as little as possible as any stimulation increases milk flow).

I am sure there are others have more great advice to offer.

Unfortunately, time got away from me, and I just started weaning my 09 filly last week (the winter weather, and lack of an extra pen (snowed under all winter) didn't help); the mare's bag got a little enlarged and firm the first day, I've been checking her daily, and slowly day by day, its softening and deflating, I've done nothing for her and she has been just fine (I've been checking and if I had seen/felt changes, I would have done something for her, banamine, warm compresses, etc). [i did not manipulate her udder in any way, just lightly cupped it in my hand to feel for warmth, firmness and any changes.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. We just got the call that they'll be coming for him in the morning, so I guess we'll take it as it comes.

I take them off of any grain for a week or more; just hay. They seem to have very little (if any) discomfort; Lex kicked at her bag for a day and then she was fine
default_smile.png

It's been 48 hours, so perhaps I shouldn't worry yet, but this poor mare's bag looks like a cows. She's just on hay, and hasn't gone off her feed, but wish there was something else I could do for her. I'M uncomfortable just looking at her like that!

LG

I'm surprised her bag has stayed that large for so long...most of my mares' bags get a bit smaller once month 4-5 hit. It's perfect because it makes weaning easier on them. For the few who do keep the large bag, I keep them up front for a few days and milk them myself a couple times a day just a little bit. That seems to take away alot of discomfort. i don't milk enough for their bodies to think they still have a foal nursing though so they still dry up. Once they're past that first day or two, they're usually just fine

Latest posts

Back