drivng a pair of minis question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
hi

Im hoping that somebody can help me on this.

Im currently driving a single mini. This has gone very well as there are only a few of us driving our minis here.

We have been competing in our own mini indoor driving league at the weekends which includes dressage, scurrying & an obstacle course.

We have even been invited to a few parades & this has gone better than anyone could have hoped, especially when in 1 parade a football team let go of 100 balloons & they blew straight between the horses legs & not 1 mini past any remarks of them & then there was a high school band from California behind us.

So my question is i have got a new cart that has a pairs pole (as well as a single) & im breaking my other palomino stallion (my driving gelding is a palomino too) to drive also, so how much different is it to drive a pair than a single?

if anyone has any helpful advice id be very grateful as our driving experience here in Ireland is limited.

Thanks

:saludando:

Hmmm. I'm probably not the best one to answer this. I have trained several minis to drive single and one pair. I thought I was hot-shot trainer when I trained my first pair so successfully. It was hardly any work at all and I couldn't understand what everyone else's problem was. WELL....Let me tell you...I got a rude awakening!!

I am now trying to train my 2nd pair and it ain't going so hot. I have trouble keeping their butts together. I have tried tying and everything i can think of, but they will not keep their butts together! And IF I can get a good day with the butts, the front-end goes out (each a seperate direction). I'm ready to give up!

My boys are geldings. Each drives great single. They pasture together. They call for each other when one is removed. They play together...never fight or get ugly, but they will not pull together. I have tried changing sides. I have tried everything I can think of. Blinders, no-blinders, ropes, tying the harness at the sholder and hip....ugggghhhh! Frustrating.

so, you see, I probably should not have answered.

Good luck to you. I hope your boys will keep thier butts together for you!! :bgrin

It's just like driving a single, almost!

Make sure both are proficient at single driving before you try them together.

You will encounter several new challenges with a pair.

One is the challenge described by Slinkky. This is where they won't track in a straight line together and get at angles to each other. Or, they start drifting apart and then slamming back together. When this happens there are 2 things to check. Make sure the distance between the singletrees aligns with the neck yoke span. If it doesn't they will never have a chance to pull straight. The second is to adjust the crossover reins. I say reins because Beno von Achenbach says they must both be adjusted together. This adjustment determines their control and orientation.

The second challenge is that of the smart horse. The smart horse will realize that if he drops back ever so slightly, then dummy will do all the pulling and he can just coast. Sometimes this is so subtle that you can't tell it by loking at the horses. However, the giveaway will be the doubletree. When traveling in a straight line it should be perfectly square with both singletrees working identicaly along it's axis.

Once you get past these challenges it pretty much is like driving a single. Just remember that with one you can fake it and look pretty good. With two, things can go wrong very quickly if you aren't ready. With more, things can go real wrong, real fast and you better be ready because there are even more challenges there.

However, those caveats said, driving multiples is the second most fun you will ever have.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hi guys

thanks for the advice.

sorry for the delay but i havent been able to get into the forum for a few days and now i see that it has moved web address, so i must not have been the only one.

please anyone with anymore helpful hints id love to here them, as if this works out they will be the only mini pair driving in Ireland.

:saludando:

Driving pairs is a lot of fun, with its own challenges. Firstly the horses should go well as singles and should know their names well so they can learn which one you are talking to when correcting. I have taught my boys to speed up or slow down using their names in a higher or lower tone. This is a great help, believe me.

Next, know it takes a few years (yes I said years) for them to be a perfect pair. They need those great teachers 'Mr Time' & 'Mr Miles' to learn to get things right. They are learning from each other as well as from you. If their bums are really apart, try switching sides as horses are right and left handed and often they just go better on one side rather than the other.

But they will need time to get used to being close to the pole...let them work it out. My youngster still isn't as close as his brother and this is year 3 of his pairs driving. If you have a friend that drives well, you might want to even drive the first few times with each of you driving with single lines...one to each horse. This gives you a chance to fiddle with one without bothering the other. This is a method used in many places to train a pair.

Just one other thing. If you are driving a 2 wheel vehicle with a pole, be aware of the balance as there can be a lot of pressure (down or up) on the pole that can really affect the horses....especially when they are learning. In reality, a 4 wheeler is the best vehicle to use for pairs but you need to use what you have.

Lastly....and VERY IMPORTANT...do NOT drive alone, especially in the beginning. Things can go wrong VERY FAST with a pair and until you are confident of their working well together think of their safety as well as your own. You don't need the other person in the cart if you can work in an arena...just have someone close to grab and head the horses, if needed.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back