Driving your horse in rural neighborhood

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
I finally have my very own driving horse and want to get her some pratice out of the pasture. We went down the road last weekend and the neighbors dogs were in their fence, but were barking and chasing us. Belle did fine with it, but half the time these dogs are out. I want to take her into the neighborhood near us which is all little ranchette, rural homes, and miles and miles of dirt roads, but I know there are dogs loose over there too sometimes. Any ideas of how I should handle the dogs?

There isn't any easy way to handle this. Usually I watch the two house that are on my route that sometimes have dogsout. If I even catch a glipse, I am out of the cart and at the head of my horse. Keep in mind, he is VERY use to this route, is not easily exciteable, and knows which houses have dogs, he even slows down at these homes to wait for my response. If I see a dog loose (both homes the dog is not out unless the owner is home and typically outside) I just yell out "get your dog please!" as loud as I can. They grab their dog, and appologize, I thank them and tell them I didn't want to take any chances, we both go on our merry way.

unfortunately, the key is, know your route, know what hazards may present themselves, even then you will have surprises. All I can say is having dogs runs out on a horse that is new to its surroundings is not good. You may be better off walking this route a few times by yourself, then after you have an idea of the potential hazards, walk it with your mini several times before you take her there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take a squirt gun with a very mild ammonia solution. A couple of shots and the dogs leave us alone. Make sure you practice so you can do it one handed and in a hurry

Hmmmmm, reminds me when I used to rollerblade in my old neighborhood that was all streets and very few houses. I avoided the "loose dog" houses after learning where they are.

I thought about walking her through that neighborhood before hooking her up and going. See where the "hot spots" are and go from there. Good thinking about getting out of the cart and up at the head with the horse. Safety first is what my trainer kept saying. Going to remember that one, THANKS! I like the squirt gun idea too, in case they get to me before I realize it. Maybe I can strap something to the cart that will hold the gun within quick reach.....or get me a toy holster to wear, LOL!!
default_laugh.png
Boy, would that give the neighbors something to talk about!

Just keep going. Usually they come out and bark, but don't mean anything except talk. I have used my whip on dogs before. A good smack and sharp voice sends them away. The little dogs are the worst, as they are so quick. My horse has stomped on one before. You can bet that dog owner got him into the house in a hurry after that.

I think projecting confidence is the key to loose dogs. Drive on like you are on a mission, hold yourself up, keep the horse focused, and threaten with the whip. They are pack animals and respect the top dog. Once they have seen you a time or two in their territory, you should be fine.

I've considered getting some pepper spray, but the squirt bottle of amonia might work. Squirt it once in a while to make sure it's "loaded", though!

Marsha, the confidence works on most dogs, but certain breeds around here I don't trust when they are focusing on the horsey legs. I know the dogs, they respect the human element, but are sometimes aggressors towards animals when the human is taken out of the picture. That is why I take myself out of the cart and make them focus on me in the foreground. A firm "get back home " in a growly voice, followed by the get your do please,works when they start to approach.

I agree that little dogs are the worst, likely because they get less discipline than the larger (usually). Dogs are easily excitable, but even with the little yappy monsters, I've found they aren't as brave as they sound. I, too, recommend the spray bottle (set to stream) or squirt gun. A spray bottle obviously holds more liquid and sprays a little farther than squirt guns...unless your squirt gun is a Super Soaker 300. But I'd imagine you'd need someone riding shotgun to use that one
default_laugh.png

I'd also suggest doing the "dry runs" first. We ground drove our driving stallion without the cart through our neighborhood. But to our dismay, at one point, we were surrounded by dogs (2 neighboring homes had loose dogs - 3 little weener dogs, 1 chihuahua, 1 3-legged white dog, and a black and white Springer Spaniel cross). None of them had the guts to actually attack, but it was troublesome trying to avoid them all. The stallion was uneasy, ears pinned and moving around to keep his eyes on them. It would have been unmanageable if we had him hooked up to a cart! We haven't taken him out since then, which is a bummer. But one of those people has their house up for sale, so here's hoping a new home without loose dogs!
default_smile.png

Also, don't forget the stern "NO!" Because I'm sure dogs hear that ALL THE TIME and should know what it means - heaven knows ours does!

Brenda

I don't drive off my property now for that reason. We have neighbors with fairly aggressive dogs and I haven't wanted to tackle them. Might try it this summer with the squirt gun though, great idea.
default_smile.png

Jan

i carry a long enough whip to keep dogs away from the horse in front of me

if its a neighborhood with loose dogs i dont pony a horse behind my cart b/c i cant use my whip to protect it

i usually turn the tables on the dogs

yell and drive towards the dogs, the quicker the better

(if you are driving and they come up behind you weheel your horse and go towards them)

dogs will almost always run if you are coming towards them quickly and confidently

loose dogs in the road are most often insecure, they arent protecting their property: they are wandering and investigating

the dogs in the neighborhood learn that horses might get them

and your horse grows confident that dogs will run from him and not chase his heels

my horses think chasing dogs as we drive is fun

the dogs eventually watch us from their driveways if everytime they are chased back there

It's been a long time since we've had to deal with your problem, but I do remember not hesitating to use the driving Whip on a dog or two.

I think the squirt gun with some ammonia water is a GREAT idea.

Yes, some dogs are put off by "brisk and determined" so if you trot briskly past they will run out barking then stop & turn around & go back home. That can work--IF you know the dogs will behave that way. That will not work with all dogs. Some will run in & go for the horse's legs--more common with riding horses I have found--with a cart and so a person so close to the horse's rear legs, some dogs will choose to go instead for the horse's head. And, some dogs will just go for the horse's head regardless. I've known of a couple instances where a rider has had her horse attacked by a dog that ran out & just went straight for the horse's muzzle.

Holding your horse's head & hollering for the dog owner to call off their dog works only if that owner is actually outside & within earshot. Here, that often isn't the case. Dogs are loose outside while owners are either in the house, oblivious to any sounds from outside, or not home.

A friend of mine was driving in her community this past fall. As she passed this one house the dog that was chained there lunged toward her, broke his chain, and came racing out at her. She jumped out of the cart & grabbed her horse's bridle and hung on for dear life while the dog attacked her horse. She said there was just no time to do anything--she wouldn't have had time to draw her knife nor even a gun, had she been carrying one--she could only hang on & try to not let the horse get away from her. Lucky for her the dog owner was home & did notice a problem, so came running out to get his dog off. When it was all over my friend, her horse & cart were in the ditch, the cart tipped over & the harness broken in a couple of spots. Dog owner was very apologetic and hauled the cart & harness home while my friend walked the horse home.

In this area we do have specific animal control laws, and an animal control officer, plus a police constable who is fairly willing to enforce animal control laws. If I wanted to drive out around the neighborhood & knew there is a problem dog, I would contact the owner & let them know that I intend to drive on the roads in the neighborhood, and suggest that they make sure their dog is contained so that it doesn't bother me, or anyone else. I would also remind them of what the laws have to say about dogs running at large and harassing livestock...and that certainly applies regardless if the horse is harassed in its pasture or while being driven or led down a public roadway...and I make it clear that I will make sure those laws are enforced...right down to a destruction order for their dog...if that dog does ever bother me and my horse. If necessary I also tell them just how much it is likely to cost them in restitution and vet bills if their dog does any actual harm to my horse. I have found if the part about the destruction order (which is provided for under provincial law) doesn't get their attention, the part about how expensive restitution could be usually does the trick.

I have tested neighborhood dogs by walking down the road past their place--for starters I walk past alone, and then once I see how the dog reacts I will go for another walk, taking a horse with me. In both cases I carry a stock whip, and will use it on the dog if I have to.

I trained a horse last year that the owner ruined by letting a dog aproch the horse. She didn't thinkl anything of it because she lets her dogs run the streets. The dog came out and bit the horse. Well, you can imagine what this poor horse did. I worked with him for 2 months after the accident and you could not even walk him in a halter past barking dogs. When I am driving I watch for loose dogs. If one comes out I stop my horse and yell at the dog "Go Home". If he continues to come out I hit him as hard as I can with the whip. I have never had one come back after that. We have a lot of pit bulls in our area and there is no telling how they have been raised. I like the spray bottle idea.

I always carry a long driving whip, and if the dog gets close enough I give it a good smack! Most of the dogs in my neighborhood know this, and all I have to do most of the time is just shake the whip toward them. I also carry an old army MP billystick in the cart in case the whip doesn't stop one of the dogs. I've never had to use it, but it's good to have it just in case!
default_yes.gif

I got a wild ride a while back after a char pei chased after me driving my pretty laid back gelding. After about a 1/2 mile of a good paced lope with me in the cart repeating whoa he finally slowed to a controlled trot. I was able to turn him and trot him back past the dog with me yelling aggressively at the dog. We have also had our next door neighbor's pit bull block us when walking our Buckeroo son down our road and him and his friends chase us while driving. Stray dogs are the norm rather than an unusual occurrence. As a result we have cleared our back two acres and are making trails through it and an arena. We also have a few cart trails through some State Parks near here. We want to try one of them soon. I think we will carry the ammonia spray bottle, sounds like a good idea.

Ruth

I have had years of experience training dogs and handling very aggressive dogs..there were two things that worked in breaking a dog's attention when focused on something that they think might be fun to chase...they make a very loud fog horn..and a special spray that will send the dog running the other direction. The fog horn was the best to use when breaking up dangerous situations.

After have one of my colts was attacked and pulled down by a stray pit bull I can say if I had the spray or fog horn the results would have been different. sounds awful but the only thing I had was a thick tree branch and bare hands.

Not to say that all dogs are mean like this one was but the risk is still there and minis are small enough some dog's think that they are prey.

Not to put a damper on how fun pleasure driving is! Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Same problem here. I have a great little hardly no traffic road but dang it, there are dogs everywhere. When I hike and backpack with Nick that is always a fear. You can bring someone with you to go in front of you in a vehicle or on a bike maybe.

Also you don't need to be putting amonia in the water gun. Go get a really big Super Soaker and just use plain water.

Back