Driving Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
When I was at the ADT this weekend my friend had to go through the saftey check. Having never done this before I was intrested in what they look for. Her traces where not how they wanted them, but let her go because they were still safe. That made me think abut mine.

My question is my singletree has just the rawhide strips for my traces, she said that would pass but they make metal clip type that screw into the singletree, they are safer, she couldnt remember the name of them. Do any of you know the name and where I can get them I have done a search and cant find them.

Thanks, Kathy

What Al said!
default_yes.gif
I saw those at a clinic up here and wanted them so bad....

Leia

As usual...I am the "odd-man-out", as I do not like the brass ones as much as the leather thong. I have known several cases where that little spring that holds it all together has broken.

Have to admit they are prettier.
default_wink.png

You are not the odd man out. I too have been looked down on at ADS events when I drove the cart with the leather strips but I much prefer them.

I have never had a leather strip release a trace but on several occasions the metal clasp (Trace Holder) has lifted and released the trace on one of my carriages. It is only spring loaded and does not lock. It simply flips up and off comes the trace.

They are pretty but there are other much safer methods of securing the trace.

default_smile.png

I think with a small cart with a wooden singletree the leather strips are about the best. The other option might be the end caps with the T bar but those could pull off under duress. On metal singletrees I have seen a clevis used or any type of button or shape on the end that can be inserted thru the trace hole. On larger carts/carriages you will see snap shackles. Draft harness has chains the clip to different types of clasps.

Don't get me wrong, I have a wagon that has the snap type trace holder and they work just fine normally but I have had traces come off twice when the horse acted up.

default_smile.png

I have the brass trace holders on my cart and they work fine, I haven't had an issue with them. I've done all kinds of things with my cart, hills, fast turns, etc and they've never failed me, I am not saying they will never fail, just haven't yet.

How did ya'll do at the ADT? I heard good things about the event.

Karen

Al, Jan T has the brass clips on one of the carriages and we zip tie them to prevent them from opening during a class. But this also cases a safty issue as to getting loose if you have trouble. IE the trouble we had at the World show.

Jan B

The snap type trace holders only hold the top half of the trace. When the trace twists it is very easy to slide the top part of the trace out from the clip, even if it doesn't open. Under normal circumstances there is no problem but I have had a horse get excited and give a kick and the trace popped right off. You need something that will secure both the top and bottom half of the trace just to keep it from twisting. I have tie wrapped them also but as you say that's not safe. You have to be able to remove it in an emergency.

default_smile.png

The best thing I have found for this purpose is the lynch pin. You can get them at Tractor Supply or probably any hardware store (definitely any farm equipment supply store) for under $1.00 a pair. It comes off easily when you need it to, but will not come off on its own. I hate the leather strips used... they get mishappen and hard to get through the hole, or get brittle from exposure, etc. I'm pretty sure I bought the smallest of the lynch pins to fit the singletree, and they fit perfectly... the pin fits in the hole without any enlargement of the hole and the ring fits over the end of the singletree without hitting the sides. Try it, you'll like it.
default_wink.png

Elizabeth, I was just going to post about the lynch pin too. That is what we always used on our big horse carts & never had a trace come off the singletree with them. Much preferable to the brass clips posted above IMO.

I've just been using the leather string on the Mini EE cart but my mom with her arthritis in one hand has trouble getting the leather through the holes so I should pick up some new pins for spring-- think they'd be easier for her to use.

The Smart Cart has the curved hook on the singletree, so no clips required

[quote name='Jetiki' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:11 AM' post='934179

How did ya'll do at the ADT? I heard good things about the event.

Karen

Karen,

We did O.K.. The Darby was fun, we all are greenies, so the first run was a mess we didnt get past the bridge she refused out, but I dont blame her she has never done a bridge and that was one of the reasons she put her in it. She had a beautiful dressage test but went off course, she was so nervous and had a head cold, she scored a 83 and would have gotten 2nd. While waiting to do the cones she had a accident and her harness broke so we didnt get to finish. I had a blast just watching and did learn alot. Its given me the bug to get my minis driving better. It was beautiful weather and a very well run show.

Kathy

A tip of the hat and Kudos to Elizabeth who properly called it a lynch pin instead of a clevis. That is a sure fire way to keep the trace on a singletree, And it's easy to remove in an emergency.

:DOH!

Well thank you Al. I have to admit though that I just had a feeling you would be reading, so I asked my husband what that ring thingie with the pin dealie going through it for attaching tractor equipment is called.
default_biggrin.png
I personally see nothing wrong with the word thingie... don't know why so many men have a problem with it, especially when it's related to tools or equipment. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually there are clevises on your tractor also. They most likely are used to attach the holdback chains (which are generally not chains but turnbuckles) to the drag link.

Its a thing we do to keep the fairer sex from finding out that we probably don't know either.

That's why we made 2x4's.

"Once upon a time"-'finished' lumber WAS 'full dimension'--2x4's WERE 2" X 4", 2 X 6's WERE 2" X 6", and so on and so on...they just KEEP 'shrinking'! I sometimes wonder how far it can go before structural integrity is LOST! (It can mess things up when you go to build some little something and find the scraps/short pieces you kept for just such a reason are of different widths and depths, when such things matter! I am such a saver-there are STILL 'actual' 2 x 4 pieces in my scrap wood pile--and every size since!

I have always liked to build things(the 'old fashioned' term would be TOMBOY!); I designed all of our indoor stalls and outdoor run-in sheds, and my late husband and I built them together. I designed AND built my miniature feeders; also built a toy 'refrigerator' and other stuff for my kids when they were little, and a number of animal cages and the like over the years!(and YET, I did NOT recall the correct term for the "LYNCH PIN", either--even though we used to have a 'big' tractor, and I still have a couple of them around! 'THINGIE' works fine for me, but sometimes, a MAN might not know what I am referring to!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

You're correct Al, we have clevis pins as well (had to do a search on the internet to find out what they are), but that would be better referred to as the thingie the cotter pins go on the end of to hold it. (And yes, I know cotter pins are used for more than just clevis pins
default_yes.gif
) I do actually know and use the word cotter pin. Thingie is such a useful word, as long as the adjectives you use in conjunction with it are adequate to describe what you mean. James just shakes his head and says it's a woman's word... no self-respecting man would ever say thingie. lol

When we moved into our house last year, we were up in the attic last year. I asked James what size some of the wood was as I'd never seen any quite like it. What do you know... true 2x4's. Not only that, the roof is all tongue and groove. Pretty cool to see the way things used to be built, and no wonder the house is as solid as it was when it was built 52 years ago.

Latest posts

Back