Driving Question....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
I've started driving my gelding again after a month and a half of nasty weather. He's green broke (just started this fall). But today, I noticed he wanted to drive with his head to the right. He's still driving straight, but his nose is turned to the right. Is there a way to fix this so this doesn't become a habit?? I use to drive a stallion that did this and it drove me nuts. He's had his teeth done and I'm driving him in a half cheek snaffle. Should I switch him to a full cheek?? Training tricks anyone???
default_biggrin.png

How old is he? Is it possible that he maybe has some caps coming out? Our now 4 year old was going with his head bent to the left. I had his teeth done and he had some really sharp caps ready to fall out(he had just been floated 6 months prior, but was at the age of lots of caps coming out). After having them taken out, he goes straight again in the bridle. If its not caps/teeth, maybe try a siderein on his left side so he cant twist to the right? And just make sure you have even contact with the reins and arent, by accident, holding tighter on one side then the other.

Jen

He had his teeth done over the summer. But I'll check for caps to be sure. He's coming on 4 this year. I check my hands constantly. I actually loosened my rein on the right side to be sure it wasn't me, but he continued to hold his head that way. After a while, he straightens out. Almost like he's dinking off. But I don't want it to become a habit.

He may be out of alignment and tight in his poll which means he could benefit from a chiropractic adjustment. I have had our driving horse bend out like that only to stop after being worked on by the chiropractor. It seemed with our horse you couldn't pull him back to travel straight on the rail no matter what I tried but one adjustment and the struggle was over. He had a big headache!

Just a thought, but maybe its you? I have a tendency to hold my left rein a little tighter than my right so my horse will tip his head to the left a little bit. Perhaps its the same for you?

Samantha

I agree with all these.

I'd have his teeth checked again, as four is a dodgy age, I'd look hard at your driving position and I'd see if you can get his back looked at!!

They could all be relevant and if he has not had a chiropractor on him before now would be a good time to start....you'll be considering him a "full" driving horse this summer, after all he's four, he's ready to go, so have a general check up and "Four Year Old Service " done ....you'd do it on a car, after all, and he's worth more than a car!!
default_wink.png

Check into the chiropractor. The horse I am working with now did that. The visit with the chiropractor revealed several major areas of his body out of line, including a dislocated scapula. I can't even imagine how much pain he must have been in.

Never thought of a chiropractor.
default_wacko.png
My friend has a good one that works on her horse. So I'll contact her and get him done. He's never had chiropractic work. And yeah, it does seem that even if I try to pull him to the left, his body moves, but he keeps his head tilted to the right still. I've checked my hands. Its the first thing I do in cases such as these as I do tend to have one hand farther back than the other (a bad habit I'm trying to break). He just all of a sudden started this. So I thought it was odd or he's just testing me (which he does often!). Thanks for the advise!!!
default_saludando.gif

Back