Driving lessons on a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
I'm a newbie at driving so I bought an older mare that has shown most of her life in halter and driving. My question is do you offer lessons on driving horses that you sell? I got four free lessons with this mare and though it was a great perk. She is the most expensive horse so far for us and the oldest that I have ever bought but I'm a firm believer that green + green = black and blue. In March I will have her payed off and will take my first lesson and bring her home. We will pratice for a month then I take her back and get my second lesson. Then she will tell me how I am doing and correct anything she doesn't like. We will do this until my four run out. I haven't seen anything about this (might have missed it) before so was just wondering if you big and little farms offer this perk when selling a driving horse to a newbie? Thanks in advance.

We do. We want to you be happy with your purchase. Plus, if you buy a horse from us that doesn't drive but want to try, we have several driving horses and let you try each out to see the difference.

Lucy

I always try and sell broke horses with lessons on them. What ever it is they are broke to drive.

Trainers all train slightly different and its always better to know the Buttons to push before pushing the wrong ones LOL.

I usually include 2-4 depending on the person. And they was welcome to keep coming back for more afterwords as well.

If the horse they are purchasing doesn't do something they want to try and I have one that does I will show them and let them try it on the horse that does do it.

I love sharing the love and excitement of the miniature horse with people.

Kids are especially wonderful.

I dont have any horses trained to drive yet as they all just now are getting old enough but I have offered lessons for halter and jumping horses to someone who had never shown before.

I am training a horse at the moment and I am including lessons for the owner and her daughter after he is trained. I have never seen that addressed either. I think it is important to inform the people that are new to driving so they can have a pleasent experiance with their horse.

I've only sold one driving horse, and I did help them, I adjusted their harness, made sure they were comfortable driving, ect. Had they wanted more instruction I would've given it. My thought, I want my horses all to go to good homes, and if someone buys a driving horse and can't drive it, they'll likely get frustrated with the situation and I don't want that! Plus, we all gotta start at the beginning in order to know how to do something, right? I had friend who helped me learn to drive and I'm always happy to help others
default_smile.png

Thank so much for your replys. The mare has been at the same farm for most of her life so she is use to being driven a certain way. Since she is older I want to learn the way she was taught and not mess her up being new. We really liked her and tried buying her three years ago and was told she would never be for sale. When we saw she was for sale now we jumped quick at the chance to own her. I'll enjoy her for many years and soon the grandson will get her for his first show horse he will be two this summer. I also bought her harness that she is use to wearing. Was that a wise choice?

Definitely, if it is going to be a harness you can use for everyday driving, does it have breeching??

If not, this is easy to remedy, but you might query if she is used to being driven in breeching.

It is OK to drive without it in the show ring (although I would not) but you really do need it if you are going to drive on the trails!!

You look as if you are going about this the right way to me, I would just keep asking questions and ,making sure you understand what you are doing each step of the way, and you will be fine.

And pictures would be great!!
default_wink.png

I always offer to let the buyer come as many times as they like to "try" out a horse whether it is for halter, performance in hand or driving. I want the person to be completely happy and comfortable with their purchase. I also am very open to hearing from them at any time in the future regarding that particular horse or horses in general. I have taught the horses I am selling cues to work from and if the person buying doesn't know the cues they won't get out of the horse what they should be able to and won't necessarily be as happy with the horse as they could be. As many 'lessons' as it takes!

Buying the harness the horse has been used to is a good idea IF the harness is in good condition and suitable for your purposes. A used harness CAN be a disaster in the making if it hasn't been properly cared for or was not a good quality harness in the first place. From the sound of it, you were dealing with a reputable seller who was looking out for your's, and the horse's, best interests. For others shopping if you don't know what you are looking at please find someone you can trust to go along with you and be sure that the horse and harness are what you need!

Latest posts

Back