Driving Instruction in Northern Ontario, Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetVetCanuck

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
saludando.gif

I've been enjoying reading all the posts on this board, and am learning so very much from them! I don't yet have a miniature horse, but am working with a reputable breeder/trainer to make sure I find a good fit, as I have some 'special circumstances' after a VLE related head injury.

I live in Northern Ontario, Canada - just west of Sudbury for those who are in the area - and I am wondering if there are any reputable driving instructors in my area, especially someone who works with miniature horses. It seems that the closest I have been able to find on my own is in Shanty Bay, just outside Barrie, which would be approximately a four hour drive each way and if there was anyone closer I'd love to be able to take lessons on a regular basis. Perhaps a more local breeder/trainer would be willing? I have had extensive standardbred experience in the past and many, many years of equine experience as an owner/breeder/trainer and veterinarian.

Thanks so much for any assistance/information you might have!

Cathy

Have you checked with the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario? I'm sure their members would have a lead for you!

Leia

Thanks Leia!

I went ahead and posted on the MHCO facebook wall and discussion page, so hopefully someone will have a lead to a local driving instructor. I`ve asked around and most of the people in my area with driving horses had them trained by various standardbred guys at the local track. I`m not keen on that, having worked at the track for years, and would much prefer to find someone with CDE experience. Besides, trotting around in circles will only make my dizziness worse - I might even vomit!
new_shocked.gif

Cathy

(Who is blissfully unaware of the G8 G20 brouhaha in Southern Ontario - benefits of living in the boonies!)

Hi Cathy! I just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

Hi there
default_smile.png

Well hands down the best trainer is Lori Rafter in York Ontario. However, that said she is quite far away from you.

I am from Pefferlaw Ontario, which is an hour closer then Barrie. I am by NO means a trainer, but I do love driving and I'd likely be able to answer some of your questions to help out, if you'd like.

As far as a driving instructor goes, I do not know of one, but I will happily keep my eyes open for you.

Best of luck driving.
default_smile.png
What are you in to? Backyard, shows, CDE, etc?

Hi Desiree
smile.gif

I have been in contact with Lori and she's been most helpful!

Thanks as well for your offer of assistance - I'm sure I will be taking you up on it! I have yet to find my first VSE, but I am working toward mostly at home stuff for now: driven dressage, cones/obstacles, trails, local parades/fairs, driving out to get the mail, etc., so looking for a 'been there, done that' kind of horse - you know the "more whoa then go" type, at least for starters.

I have suffered a brain injury in the past and don't do well at indoor shows (this I know from my dog show days - too noisy, busy, smelly, etc) but am thinking that our local fair would be a good place to try it out, next summer perhaps... But even if we never get out of town, I'll still be happy to have a horse in my barn that is for *me* once again!
cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Thanks again

Cathy

Latest posts

Back